Sinister: Quick, someone give BA this cheese burger so we can drug him and make him fall asleep and then we can carry him onto the plane.

igh1 at xxx.uk igh1 at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 19 19:39:55 BST 2000

Well hello you leetle sinister lovelies,

Ah, it has been a long, long time since last did I post to the list, but I have
something to say now, so I feel I can.

FISHYCLAP, is, in my opinion, a good deal better than twattybus because the so-
called band democracy is much more effective.  Apart from the third song (i've
forgotten the name of the blasted thing), which I think is an an absolute
stinker of a belles song, and should have swapped places with the lovely Winter
Wooksie.  Stevie's song writing seems to be getting better and better, and
though I do like Family Tree I agree with whoever it was who said that it
sounded like a Gentle Waves song.  But enough of this, there's been a zillion
reviews already, and as this is the zillionth and first I'll make it brief.

When I read Mad Dog's comments about IFYS the other day, and I smiled a smug
little smile all to myself because I have often thought this very thing
myself.  The sound quality on Tigermilk (the only other album comparable with
Sinister due to cost and fame and timescale other such things) is much better -
there's something about the music on IFYS which gives me a bit of a headache (I
love it and everything, but the production is a bit funny).  The songs on
Tigermilk are also produced in a far more understated way (I'm guessing due to
time restraint and cost as well as the fact that the boy Doogan wasn't
involved), which leads me to conclude that two possibilities are affecting B&S
records nowadays: Tony Doogan or the pressure on Stu to produce a classic
(after all, the fans are a wee bit demanding).  I've always thought Tony Doogan
was a good producer, but thinking back a lot of his records do have that
overproduced, multi-limbed orchestra feel (obviously not the first Hefner
album, though, cos I think that's brilliant, although their record company
apparently was none-too-impressed).  B&S have a cellist and violinist and I
believe that the others can also play instruments, so why have an orchestra on
record, especially when Isobel is a brilliant cellist (and I won't hear a word
against her, so naaaaah to all members of the "We hate the lovely and talented
Isobel" fanclub.  In fact, double naaaaah :).

I've got a new job, but I'm not allowed to tell people what it is cos it
involves money, so you'll just have to guess.  But I can tell you that I'm not
a gigolo.

I did have a lot more to say, but I've forgotten it all now so I'll go but I
might be back in a while with my other thoughts (though prolly not cos they
don't usually make much sense, but hey . . .)

Goodbye one and all,
Ian.