Sinister: Thunderclap Bloody Newman

Iain Radcliffe iaradcliffe at xxx.com
Fri Jun 23 00:24:29 BST 2000

Good evening,
I’m listening to an album called “The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter” by weird
sixties folk outfit The Incredible String Band. The best track comes in at a
modest 13 mins 5 secs, but the sitar wig-outs and running water noises are
starting to do my head in.

Sample lyrics:
Don’t worry we won’t send anyone
After you they screamed
But me and licorice saw the
Last of them one
Misty twisty day
Across the mournful
Morning moor motoring
Away
Singing ladybird ladybird
What is your wish ?
Your wish is not granted
Unless it’s a fish
Your wish is not granted
Unless it’s a dish
A fish on a dish is that
What you wish ?

I believe some people ingested copious quantities of naughty things called
drugs in those days.

The band’s name that was bugging me at the Embra picnic whilst drunk was of
course Thunderclap Newman if anyone cares. It seemed rather trivial the next
day in the cold light of a hangover.

Rafe Dewar: I do indeed know you, and you still have spookily good taste it
would seem. Pint in the Tams sometime ?

I’d like to add my vote to the Electronic Renaissance: Good; Waiting for the
Sunrise: Baaaaad camp.

I’ve been a bit wary of throwing in my tuppence on the new album, because I
don’t want to cause strife.
But fuck it, here’s my tuppence for what it’s worth -(2p).

I think FISHYCLAP is WELL below par. And I wanted it to be ace as much as
anyone, so it’s doubly disappointing.

Tracks 1,2 and 5 are v. good but not “excellent” or B & S classics. I fear
the rest ranges from pleasant to mediocre to cringeworthy. Sorry.
For me, the new album shows just how good TWATTYBUS actually is. Some
brilliant numbers, plenty of top notch solid tunes and the “worst” ones are
still pretty good.
I don’t necessarily blame the co-operative songwriting policy. I think Stu M
has certainly lost his magic touch at the moment and I hope it’s merely been
misplaced.
Here’s to album 5 showing a return to Tigermilk/IYFS quality to break the
downward spiral.
I hope it’s not just the age-old pop story of artists losing their immediacy
and the nebulous quality which makes them so initally compelling when they
have too much time and cash and comfort pissing around in the studio.

Bit much content methinks.

Good to see my perennially favourite football teams Portugal and Romania
doing so well. Congrats chaps and good luck.

Amy J: I’ll write soon – promise.

I remain forever your friendly neighbourhood
Jarvis xxx

“I’m as serious as cancer when I say
Rhythm is a dancer.”