Sinister: vine-ill (list abuse!)

adam apparatus aconover at xxx.net
Fri Jun 23 05:23:47 BST 2000

ok, i know i've been posting quite a lot, but then again sinister's
been a little quiet... anyway.

i got the new dirty three album on vinyl... very good, by the way, a
new highwater mark for them (but then again, each new release for
them is better than the last) . i ordered it from insound (one of the
most wonderful stores in the world... www.insound.com .) also, it's a
limited edition colored vinyl... which i didn't expect! finally, this
is my very first vinyl purchase -- i recently decided to start buying
in vinyl, but i don't know much about it.

here's my problem: when i put the record on the turntable, and start
it going, there's one area on the edge that goes up a little... like
the record's warped. i thought it was the turntable, but it doesn't
have this problem with other records. this is my dad's turntable, so
he set the weight on the needle, but the d3 record skips at that spot
unless i turn up the weight, which i'd rather not do, of course.
(this only happens at the beginning of the first song; after the
first song, i turn the weight down again.) a friend of mine said
"that's just the way records are", but i have 20 year old records
that don't have this problem! i would contact insound, but i don't
want to be a pain.. so i thought i'd be a pain here. any vinyl-crazy
sinistrals able to answer my question? is this a standard record
thing, or should i complain and ask for a replacement? it worries me
a little...

oh yes, and buy the new dirty three, everyone! it's called "whatever
you love you are", and has some gorgeous editing... three warrens
isn't enough, as far as i'm concerned...

anyway, thanks for suffering through..

- adam

aconover at optonline.net
Tempus Fugit is at: