Sinister: coherence isn't always my best point

Heather H hah102 at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 27 12:46:48 BST 2000

Someone wanted a review of Glastonbury?  I can attempt that.

A bit of a background: I went down with my exboyfriend of 2 1/2 weeks,
whom I'd had a bad bad bad breakup with but he's my best friend in this
country so what can I do, and his housemate that I kinda-sorta knew.
Fun!  We were all multi-day festival virgins.

We went down on a coach from Leeds on Thursday and were feeling quite
Old, as the average age of coach-rider seemed to be about 16 or 17 (we
being the ripe old age of 21).  I was a but nonplused by their
conversations about the various attributes of Burger King and KFC.  I
began to worry a bit about the average festival-goer.  It rained the
whole way there and of course the radio claimed it would rain all
weekend.  When we finally arrived it was raining heavily but we waited
for 15 minutes and all was good.  We found a nice place to set up our
tent (why are there always extra pieces when I set up a tent?), and
wandered around for the rest of the evening.  It rained more Thursday
night and I was a bit freaked out by the racist Hartlepoole scallie
neighbor of ours who passed out outside of our tent right next to my
head.  mmmmm.

friday was a good day.  We spent almost the whole day in Jazzworld (a
theme for the weekend).  I wanted to go meet up with sinister-types that
afternoon but a)I was too shy/scared/nervous all day b) I was
practically passed out/asleep in the field at jazzworld achieving a
lovely sunburn on my face.  I saw the Wailers twice that day and both
performances were very good, but I preferred the one at the jazz stage
because there was a better vibe and I don't like really huge
stages/crowds too much.  That day I also saw the Oil Experts (I know its
wrong to like French hip hop but i just lovelovelove it), Lynden David
Hall (I felt so smoove), Nitin Sawhney (all three of us concurred that
JC 001 is da man), Moloko (the band actually seemed to *gasp* like each
other! which is so rare anymore- rosanne reminded me of debbie harry and
reminded my exboy of iggy pop [?!]), groove armada (how unexciting can
you get?), and Reprazent (roni size!!!  yeah!!!  i guess I was dancing
just a bit too excitedly because I was asked by 3 separate people if i
had any pills).  It was a good day indeed.  The evening was finished off
lying in our tent laughing at/scared of our friendly neighbors.  it was
very cold that night and I was confused when I woke up to my exboy with
his arm around me.  I don't think he knew.

Saturday was a good day again with lots of sun and beer (mmmm carlsberg
export 5%) and other such goodies we brought along.  We started off the
day at the Pyramid stage to watch ladysmith Black Mambazo and Asian Dub
Foundation, both of which were tres excellent!  Crowds weren't too bad
at the stage at that time of day so we could still see the stage quite
well.  We wandered around for a bit and stopped off to see David Gray at
the middle-aged request of the exboy.  I felt a bit whiny but was able
to keep my mouth shut.  We wandered around quite a bit more until we
found ourselves once again at Jazzworld and stayed all evening to watch
G Love and Special Sauce (brought back memories of high school), Femi
Kuti and the Positive Force (by far THE best set we saw the whole
weekend!!!  the whole crowd was so excited and all of them were
incredible performers.  my booty was shakin like there wasn't any
tomorrow!) and Morcheeba (again more booty shakin action- a booty shake
cool down, if you will).  I don't remember that evening too well because
I think I was still a bit toasty.  It was even colder that night.

Sunday we were running low on cash and provisions so we were much more
sober and tired little children.  We wandered around all morning,
spending quite some time in the sacred space enjoying the sun.  We
managed to get ourselves to the Other stage to see St. Etienne, who were
a complete disappointment!  I'd never seen them live before but have
been a fan for fourish years and was quite excited.  the back-up singers
voices didn't match sarah's and were far too annoying, the acoustics
were rotten and it was just bad bad bad.  Luckily(?) we had a conflict
of schedule that was remedied by this situation and off we trotted to
see Horace Andy.  We were all tired children so didn't bother to get up
and dance but it was very cool.  Off we trotted again to see the Beta
Band.  We had to sit through a bit of Muse before the Beta band and boy
was that painful!  Beta Band, of course, were incredible.  They had a
rapper for a few songs that the exboy noted was "like an English Busta
Rhymes." Indeed!  I was a tired girl and my back was killing me and I
was a bit depressed about Things so I cant give a better account of
them.  Again we trotted away once they were done to see Bowie.  I just
couldn't believe how many people were there!  It was completely packed
when we got there so we had to watch the screens, so it was like
watching it on the BBC only outside and really far away from the screen
with some 6'7" twat who decided to stand right in front of your little
5'3" self and was so high on poppers that he couldn't comprehend you
asking politely for him to move his ass.  But it was good and it was
David Bowie does his greatest hits.  He sang perfectly and stumbled
around a bit on stage in a silly way.  I dont remember much more because
my back was killing me 9I think ive pinched a nerve- how does one know?)
and the exboy had his arm around my waist for some time.

and that was that.  maybe more comments from other people?  there were
so many things we didn't see because of scheduling conflicts- how were:
Ildlewild, Moby, Badly Drawn Boy, Nik Turner, Flaming Lips, Willie
Nelson, Yo la Tengo, Gil Scott-Heron, etc. etc. etc.??

Oh yeah!  this is my first post!  how exciting!  I'm Heather.  I live in
England.  For 6 more days.  I've spent a dreadful six months here but
will happily be returning to Portland, OR in August after a stay with
the parents.

one more (B&S-ish) related silly story: there's a boy here in my college
who I don't know but I refer to as B&S boy because he wears B&S shirts.
I think I freak him out because at first I watched him because there
just aren't too many interesting people around here (or ones that I've
met/seen in my six month stay).  Now I also watch him out of habit.
last night I was a bit of a drunken girl and (at the advice of friends)
almost went up and hit on him.  But luckily he had just left the bar.
eee!

this has been far too long and I apologize
heather
http://www.reed.edu/~hhumble