Sinister: I was so embarrassed that I missed Chapati

craigrm craigrm at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 27 14:01:51 BST 2000

Legal Naan, Century of Fakirs... maybe ?

While I'm on the subject of Indian influences in popular culture, the much
feared sitar onslaught on FYHCYWLAP never quite materialised now did it ?.
Maybe the band took the Tim Hopkins threat not to purchase new album if it
involved sitars seriously and hurriedly re-wrote it all ?. That would
certainly explain the recording delays and may even be the *real* reason
Stuart D left. You see I always pictured him as the George Harrison of the
band so it makes sense that he'd be the biggest proponent of the sitar,
perhaps he found himself in the unenviable position of having to deliver an
ultimatum along the lines of "if the sitars go then so do I".

And we all know what happened ....Murdoch called his bluff & the rest is
history.

How did FISHYCAP go in the charts when it was released, I forgot to check at
the time. The more cynical amongst us know that sales charts are nothing but a
corrupt capitalist tool of oppression and subliminal mind control, but I still
can't help but wonder how the al-bum went. The Canadian chart though is
obviously based on musical quality (Legal Man at number 4) so is justifiably
exempt from my previous rant

I've heard that last week several members of the Eastenders cast, high on a
potentially lethal combination of meths and airfix glue accidentally tunneled
in the Jeepster Office's from the basement of a nearby 24 hour Photocopying
Shop. Naturally Jeepster HQ is as secure as Fort Knox and  a silent alarm was
triggered well before the rampaging thespians managed to get their hands on
any rare Gentle Waves demos so the damage was minimal, which is a massive
relief for all concerned.

So St Etienne didn't deliver the goods at Glastonbury, I can imagine they'd
struggle a bit in that kinda setup. They're normally quite excellent live so
lets all blame the poor acoustic qualities of canvas and continue to think
Sarah and co are the Bees Knees, cos they are.

That's about it I think, as uaual there's very little of substance - sorry.

Craig x

ps: apologies is the formatting goes a bit weird on this message. I'm using a
suspect webmail program that has mangled posts in the past, I'll never learn.