Sinister: I have a voice...

Rob Lorenson rtoad at xxx.net
Wed Jun 28 02:09:50 BST 2000

I suppose it's that magical time when I get to introduce myself.  I
live in Riverside, CA, which is E of L.A. by about 1 hr or so.
Riverside is desert, and it's very hot here today.  I work in a
computer room, but I'm leaving soon, because all the cool people
left/are leaving.  I'm leaving soon because it's a wasteland of a
company and I hate it.

My favorite B & S albums are in this order:  Sinister, Tigermilk,
Fold You Hands, Arab Strap.  My favorite B & S song is "Modern
Rock Song," with "Put the Book Back On the Shelf" a close
second.  There are a couple of B & S songs I don't much care for,
but they're one of those groups you can listen to 1000s of times
and not get sick of them.  Even the songs you don't much care for.
Because even those are good.

I speak a whole crapload of languages:  Thai, Japanese, Mandarin,
Spanish, French, Portuguese (Brazilian), Italian.  I help ESL
students learn English.  Next year I'm going to Japan, Thailand,
Hong Kong, and Beijing.  I live in a big house with just me and my
dog, a Shiba Inu.  I study at UC Riverside.  I'm a published
poet/story writer.  I have my own magazine.  I won't do a
shameless plug for it, because that's not appropriate on this list.

I first heard B & S at my friend's house in Fountain Valley, CA.
We were lusting over a couple of cute Japanese girls who gave us
their numbers at the Japanese restaurant.  I speak that language.
The O-sake was starting to eat away at my sanity and stop
sticking your fingers in my eye.  My friend put a CD in his stereo.
All I saw was a red cover.  "Make a new cult everyday..." echoed
through the room, the carpet was dirty and littered with empty
cigarette packs, the walls had images of forgotten J-Pop stars and
I scratched another Kanji on the box.

"Who is this?" I asked.  Sake was making my vision all fuzzy.

"Belle and Sebastian," Bill answered.  I lit another cigarette

"Who?"

"Belle and Sebastian."

He showed me the cover, and I was the birthday boy.  And I was
Christmas.  And that was the beginning.

And now I listen to "This is Just A Modern Rock Song," and
Dorothy is leaving, disappearing somewhere within these cities,
within the emptiness and slipstreams.  And I'll miss her.  It hasn't
rained in a long, long time.

I didn't get the girl.  Not in this film.

"If your engines aren't revved up, then what you need is
a holy ghost enema right up your rear end!"
-Suzanne Hinn

"And remember, if New Jersey was made out of neutron
star matter, a teaspoon of New Jersey would weigh as
much as New Jersey!"
    -- James "Kibo" Parry

http://home.earthlink.net/~rtoad
ALL SORTS OF THINGS FOR YOUR REAR