Sinister: stuff about Nick Drake, B&S and sitars.

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Wed Jun 28 07:47:27 BST 2000

Craig asked where the sitars were. They are on Legal Man, all the way
through, although most obviously at the start.

Which brings me to my question. List members may remember there besing
reposrts, via Jeepster news, and also in the NME, about Belle & Sebastian
having a "party" in the studio for one of the songs, to capture the
ambiance?? (Ring any bells?) I seem to recall the song was "The Model", but
for the life of me I can't hear anyone puking, slurring lewdly or snoting
coke. Or maybe it just wasn't that kind of party. If someone would like to
meil me and let me know song it was, I'd sleep easier. (Or maybe it's one of
the seven or so songs the bnd supposedly recorded and haven't released yet
....)

Bollocks .... RELEASE ANOTHER ALBUM SOON B&S. No offence, because a) I
really love the new one, but ... it doesn't have "Lonliness of the Middle
Distance Runner" on it, and b) another two years is FAR too long to wait for
another mere 41 minutes of pop perfection. Or at least cobble some sort of
"Hatful of Hollow"/"Boxing Hefner" type compilation with "Lonliness ..",
some sessions and outtakes etc. (Please .......)

Magda Bloom, you really should *buy* Belle and Sebastian albums. Indie bands
really don't make all that much money, especially when they have seven
members. And, really, it's so much nicer to own the albums.....

***WEIRD B&S EXPERIENCE***
At work I usually wear hadphones and listen to pop music. I was having a
freindly argument with the girl who its next to me. She listens exclusively
to hip-hop (she thought "folk" was like "grunge", which gives you some idea
of her depth and breadth of knowledge when it comes to pop). Anyway, she
usually has control of the radio, and as usual it waqs playing the usual mix
of Puff Daddy, Vengaboys, Westlife, Destiny's Child (surely the worst band
EVER). Anyway, at ths point my boss said "why don't you play some of YOUR
music, Lawrence". I'd just been ranting about B&S moments before, so I was
*forced* to inflict "Fold Your Hands ..." on all the people who work
downstairs in the office.It was a very strange experience ... my boss was
the only person who liked it, everyone else used adjectives like
"interesting" or "different" to describe it. (sigh). Funnily, the situation
was very awkward for me. And after that, of course, it was back to Puff
Daddy.

***NICK DRAKE ALBUMS GOING FOR A SONG***
I am a sad Nick Drake obsessive, and hence have just shelled out for the new
remastered versions of his three studio albums. Which means I have three
"old" versions I am wanting to rid myself of. I don't really want to sell
them to the sharks at my local send-hand record place, and all my friends
either own the albums or don't like them. So ..... if anyone on the list is
interested in some sort of a trade. I don't want much for them ... just
something (like a single album, a couple of singles etc.) to justify the
cost of posting them to you, because that will no doubt work out quite
expensive. It would be a good opportunity for someone to get the three
albums super cheap. Anyway, if anyone is interested, make me an offer. Maybe
a couple of hefner singles or something I couldn't easily get here?? Or
whatever.

Anyway, that's i for me. Take care kids,

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme