Sinister: first post

Mouche75 at xxx.com Mouche75 at xxx.com
Thu Jun 29 00:58:25 BST 2000

Hello

I'm just out of nursery, beaming with pictures, and I thought I'd dip my toe
in the water to see how all you cats are.

So how are all you cats? I'm quite well, thank you, drinking coffee and
covered in wallpaper paste.

I subscribed to Sinister ages ago, back in 1997, when, as the older among you
will recall, the summers seemed to last forever. Hot topics then were "Who is
Elvis?", "Where'll Fakers get to in the charts?" and "Is Betamax better than
VHS?". I posted a few times, mainly about Vince Guaraldi and sweet shops that
display sweet jars in the window. But then emails started to bring worrying
news ("your story on what you did over the summer was due in two weeks ago,
and you will fail very soon") so I unsubscribed and took to my bed.

So can I introduce myself? I'm Mouche, and I live in Kilwinning, which is on
the west coast of Scotland. I haven't lived here for ages, but I came home
trailing balloons a few weeks ago. I was struck by two things when I came
back: a) the abnormal percentage of people under 40 who use walking sticks
'round here, and b) the way it always kind of smells of frying sausages. I
needed salvation and fun, so I reached out for sweet sweet sinister.

You know when you're on a bus and there's a kid in front of you, leaning back
over the chair desperate to make eye contact? I was in a benevolent mood
today, I was chatting to the kid, trying not to stare at his little icicled
snotters and stuff. And things were going well, till he burped (with some
force) right at me. I was dizzy with strained carrots for about fifteen
minutes after. This is a cautionary tale. It was nice when I came home
though. When I got off the bus, the driver said "cheers, Matthew," and even
though I'm not called Matthew, I didn't complain. In fact, I was secretly
chuffed to be mistaken for one of the apostles.

Do bus journey stories qualify as B&S content? Is it borderline?

I know it's old hat, but here's my Fold Your Hands chart (last week's
positions are in brackets).

01 (01) The Model
02 (03) Woman's Realm
03 (04)There's Too Much Love
04 (02) I Fought In A War
05 (07) Waiting For The Moon To Rise
06 (06) The Wrong Girl
07 (05) Don't Leave The Light On, Baby
08 (09) Family Tree
09 (08) Chalet Lines
10 (10) Nice Day For A Sulk
11 (11) Beyond The Sunrise

Two little matches too... I Fought In A War and Made Of Stone, and Zinedine
Zidane and Stevie Jackson.

Can I ask a little favour? If there's anyone else on the list who lives on
the west coast and knows good places to go, can they please get in touch?
Secret places, where young gunslingers groove the the latest sounds? I'd be
very very grateful. There's a certain novelty is scooting about 'round here,
but I saw the farmer up the road loading his silage truck up earlier on, and
I know things will get unbearable soon.

mouche