Sinister: Ever excellent

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 29 18:08:42 BST 2000

Someone was moaning about Banchory Merchandising T-shirts being smaller than
normal ones.  Believe it or not, this has already been discussed at length.  A
lot of fatties think it's unfair and that it means Belle & Sebastian think that
you have to be waif-like to be a twoo fan.  'Looking stupid being used and being
THIN' eh?  The ever excellent Tom Ewing points out, by way of a Guardian article

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~tewing/2000_06_18_oldlines.html#383429

that all this worrying about being thin and confused at Tony Blair's body image
summit is all very well but it's a bit rich that it gets all the attention when
obesity remains a far more widespread health issue than anorexia and bulemia.
When I was at university I seem to remember a very bright colleague doing a
dissertation on anorexia and he finding very little research that it had
anything to do with seeing skinny models in magazines anyway.

Call me selfish but I love the B&S T-shirt sizes.  After years of having to put
up with shapeless sacks at last I can wear one that's just perfect for us 6 foot
high, 8 1/2 stone people.  That's... me then.  Thank God no one outside the UK
undertands stones.

Carsmile Steve is either confusing the Spectator with the New Statesman or else
he's making some hard left point about the latter's loss of edge.  I suspect the
former, as he comes from Chelmsford and is probably a member of the Women's
Institute.

> I've been reduced to scouring the Guardian website for things
> by Nick Dastoor. There are three, one of which contains the phrase "totty
> good at totting up".

Funniy enough, I resorted to doing just the same yesterday.  I have had a few
more credits than that but the archive tends to ignore them on the grounds that
they are in 4 point type and upside down.  'Totty good at totting up' was not my
idea.  Nor do I condider Magnus Pyke top totty.  But that Lord Watson - phwoarr!

Anyway, just before I resorted to doing that I resorted to searching the web for
people with the same names as my friends.  Then I told one of my friends and she
said she felt violated.

Nick x