Sinister: banker's bouquet

Jan Imgrund jimgrund at xxx.fr
Fri Jun 30 00:26:35 BST 2000

Hi

You know, I never post. Or, at least, almost never. The last time was
sometime in November, I think. I don't remember the year though.
But I thought I might just as well go for it once again, since I have a nice
thing to say for once, even though it has only a tiny B&S-connection. And
I'll also try to fill this gaping post-void, all by myself.

So what's this 15-minutes-rule. See, I've been away from the list for a
while, and I missed all the new legislation. Is it that you have to spend no
less than 15 minutes writing your mail, and does this include time for
reading it again, finding that it's crap, erasing everything and trying
again? And also the time for thinking about witty things to say, or on how
to spell "Ampallang"?Are people who write very fast allowed to spend less
time?
Important questions! You can't just let us stand with a rule like that. Us
legal men write hundreds of pages of commentary on a single phrase of law.

[Beginning of actual post]

Hello

So, when I got into the subway (which is called métro with an accent in the
parisian part of the world), on my way to buy the new B&S album, I stumbled
onto a film set. Too bad! It was obviously not a big production though. Just
a guy with a portable camera, one with a big light, one giving the orders,
and a few more who were mainly occupied keeping the real people around quiet
and away. Oh yes, there was also an actor. He played a beggar. Now I don't
know if it's done like that on other subways, but in Paris, the beggars come
into the wagon, make a speech (which is often really good, from a purely
artistic point of view - but then again you might discover all sorts of
talents in yourself when having it depends on whether you'll have dinner
that night), and then collect money. It seems to work better than just
sitting around.
That's what the actor was playing. The speech was not as good as a real one,
though. His clothes were not dirty enough, and he did not have this strange,
vaguely irritated look in his eyes that all beggars seem to have. He
probably also had dinner that night, despite his poor performance, so it was
harder for him, in a way.
They taped his performance a few times, but the boss never seemed really
satisfied. I was  bit disconcerted at first: standing so near, I could well
give him some money when he would come past me. But since it was only a
play, would I get it back afterwards? Would I be seen in a french indie
movie, gauchely handing out money? It would have been my first public
performance ever, and I had not been to the coiffeur for almost 3 months. It
turned out though, that the beggar only ran through the rows of seats
without really collecting. Bad performance.
A loud voice was then heard from the other side of the wagon. It was a
beggar, a real one. The crew looked kinda cross as he came nearer.
Obviously, his delivery of the part was much more vivid, more present,
altogether, i might even say, for *real*, y'know mate? The false beggar
tried to hide under his big rasta-beggar cap as good as he could. Maybe he
feared that the other one would take his place, for the authenticity. It
could have been a brilliant career for him! But nothing of that sort
happened, since we are in reality here, and not in a social-kitsch movie.
The real beggar got out at the next station.

Hmmmm
Strange how stories seem so much less impressing when you write them down
than when you lived them at first.
But post-void is a pretty good word. Don't anyone dare use it. It`s MINE!!!!

I don't like the new B&S album that much.

good night,
Jan

29 min.