Sinister: All About "Twee"ve

HopelesslySmitten sidney.reilly at xxx.net
Fri Jun 30 00:48:02 BST 2000

Dear People

Coincidences, coincidences, coincidences

Isn't it weird how coincidences come in sevens (a mystical number, as any
wearer of a black flowing dress and eyeliner of all those years ago, would
be able to tell you)  but perhaps not strange when considering Belle and
Sebastian and what appears to be their unknown to anyone (including I am
sure them) tenuous links with the Goth movement of bygone years.

Let me elucidate.................

1. Sitars..........it would seem to me that a sitar is so prominent on Legal
Man due to several members, if not all, hearing the sitar at the beginning
of The Missions "Sea of Love" off of Carved in Sand (1990,
Mercury842251-4)..........and of course it would take ten years for that
influence to take prominence in another groups music ( I shall not mention
The Beatles or Ravi Shankar here as their Sitar influence on the world is
negligible compared to that of The Mission).

2. In a Q magazine review (Q38/November 1989) of the then new All About Eve
album "Scarlet and Other Stories" (Mercury 838965 - in case you want to
order on back catalogue), the reviewer described the flagship bang of Goth's
Nouveau Hippy wing as a Laura Ashley version of The Mission and there songs
as "twee" - now I raise the question of could it be that Mr Murdoch once
owned this album and spent many hours with it willowing through his
headphones and hence here he discovered "twee".............a confession here
is that I once owned a copy of "Scarlet" and at the dissolution of my
marital relationship my ex and I argued about who was going to get to keep
it - you may be pleased to know that I won and forced her to keep it.

3. There can be no denying that the Gorilla that jumped on the stage when
B&S played TOTP's is a closet Goth and felt the need to be near other closet
Goth's.

So yes I did say seven coincidences, but to save my sanity (and you may
think that already too late) and yours I shall stop at three

But let me end with this, as so many of you appear to have B&S dreams, and
as most of us don't remember most of our dreams..........how can you be sure
that the dreams that you are not remembering do not have some kind of Goth
content - just consider this - Pete Murphy (Bauhaus) could be wandering
through your dreams tonight - just maybe you had better never sleep again

or should I say

Sweet Dreams

HS