Sinister: So I made another convert...

Rob Lorenson rtoad at xxx.net
Fri Jun 30 22:14:19 BST 2000

On my introduction the other day I forgot to mention I'm Scottish.
>From Lochwinnoch, in the shadow of our family's castle, Castle
Semple.

Now to the ranty stuff...

My Language Partner came over today, rode a bike 6 miles even
though I offered to drive her.  94 degrees F.  Her cream shirt
showed signs of sweat, as did her grey shorts.  Calls herself
"Kent" because it's close to her name.  A Bankok Angel, brilliant
Lotus Flower in some metallic Symphony.  She gave me a picture
of the Grand Center, "we meeting there," she said.  Her english
isn't all that good.  Bloody horrible, but that's why I am here.

"This is just a modern rock song," was playing on my CD, and she
stood there for a lengthy pause, listening to the song, and then
looked at the cover.  Then looked at me.

"I like these," she said, smiling.  Face shiny rays, I keep my room
dark because my eyes are photo-sensitive.  I keep my office dark
so people don't bother me.  I keep my car dark because I hate
glare.

"I get some."  She tried to make out the name by reading it.  She's
going back to Thailand in 2 weeks or so.  It came out sounding like
"Belly and Seebaysteean."  I corrected her, gave her the CD.

"I'll send you more when I can find some," I said.  It's hard to get B
& S in Riverside.  I'll have to go to L.A. or Orange County, maybe
visit the old record shop on Main St., right between the Mexican
Auto Shop, the Mexican Grocers, and the guy who stands on the
corner shouting Bible verses in German, who dresses like Moses,
who has long white hair and a beard that matches.  He's been
there for years, apparently.  People throw change at him, although
he's not homeless.  Once he said he was an engineer, once he
had his heroes.  But now he's insane rambling mad, wandering
MacArthur and Main St. shouting Bible verses and trying to pick up
pretty Hispanic girls.  Someone should write a song about him.

Kent thanked me profusely, embarassed because she had nothing
to return.  Gave me a deep bow, and we helped each other for a
while, and then she left and I ate some natto.

Then I went to the bank and the post office, to send some
packages to Japan.  Happy in the fact that I made another B & S
convert.

I don't even think they have any kind of fan base in Thailand, do
they?  WELL, NOW THEY DO!  BWAHAHAHAHA!

This weekend I'm going to the anime expo, probably Sunday or
Monday.  Anaheim, I think.  I'll be the one dressed in normal
clothes, looking at all the people dressed like Sailor Moon and
those CHYX from Bubblegum Crisis.  I got in two years ago on an
industry pass.  But not this time.
"I only buy a book for the way it looks,
then I put it on the shelf again.
I can tell you what I'm thinking,
But it never seems to do you good.
It's beyond me what a girl can see,