Sinister: subject? you have to be joking! there's nothing IN my posts...

rachel tucker rachel at xxx.uk
Wed Mar 1 00:54:30 GMT 2000

for some reason i am still up despite meaning to go to bed ages ago cos i
have to be on a bus at TWENTY PAST SEVEN tomorrow morning!! i am renowned
for oversleeping and i can tell this is just not going to happen...my mum
(bless her) has already booked the time off work on the days of all my
morning exams to give me a sporting chance at actually making some of
them...but 7.20, that is foul...last time i saw the world that early i was
on my way to bed....

<got slightly distracted there>

anyway. hello. again.

you can tell i'm bored cos i've just read all the latest messages on the
website instead of going to bed like a good girl and reading the digest
tomorrow. that's the one thing i hate about being on the digest, you're
always a bit behind. better than having continual new mails though, my poor
puter can't cope.

 from my reading (there is a point to this) i discovered that alisdair had a
dastoor disaster and got me and lucy confused cos we both talk about
football a lot...i was quite flattered in fact, though lucy may not have
been...and in my defence i don't mean that to be my only topic of
conversation, but i lead a sad life :( so apologies for my dull rants...oh
matty elliott, £1.6m, we were well and truly robbed blind....

i've managed to lose a list crush vote...<sob>....serves me right for being
so careless...i wonder what i've done with it....

i had a b&s argument today. it was one of the ones i often have, the:

'arrrggghhhh his voice, it's crap' one. i'm sure it is familiar to all of
you ;)

but today was slightly different cos instead of me leaping to an emotional
and totally incoherent defence of our heavenly stuart like i normally do
(ends in me sulking going 'well i love them and him so fuck off ner ner ner'
which is not particularly constructive), me and my radiohead/placebo/hole
obsessed mates (three of the bands i hate more than any others in the
world...we have a lot of arguments) had a civilised discussion of what makes
a *good* voice and how a *good* voice isn't always necessary for making
GRATE music.

we didn't actually agree on this, but it's given me something to think about
all day when i should have been writing my 7, ooh in fact now 8 essays or
reading othello (i'm sure you'll all be happy to know i've blagged my way
out of my coursework), and also in college earlier tonight...well i had to
have something to do. anything rather than listen to banking at the turn of
the 20th century for 2 and a half hours....

<got distracted again...honestly i will get to it eventually. it's
interesting. really...?>

so i figure that weaker singers (i.e limited range, out of tune, slightly
weedy sounding...) often appeal far more to me than supposedly more powerful
ones. (i'm not very good at talking about music but i'll try anyway) i'm not
sure why, i just think that more emotional intensity and feeling and
identification is conveyed through the vocals of, say, ian brown, tim
burgess, stephen gately, jason pierce, and ...(and it hurts to include these
two as *weak* singers but even at my most biased i do recognise the
criticisms, even though i don't accept them)...mark owen and struan. these
are some of my fave singers, and they all have had the piss ripped out of
them big time for their vocals. but i certainly wouldn't swap them for all
the world for those of mick hucknall, thom yorke, george michael, cerys
matthews etc. all people who supposedly posess superior vocal talents.

that's not saying that i *only* like stuff by the tone deaf, but when it
comes down to it, it's the combination of songs AND vocals that does/doesn't
appeal, and crucially, if they complement each other. i mean, look at liam
gallagher. he's a fantastic singer but even he can't work miracles on
substandard noel tunes...they may as well let gem loose on the writing,
heavy stereo weren't that bad....

what was i saying?

not sure now, it's too late to keep on track.

oh yeah, so, to cut a very long and probably tedious tale a bit shorter, it
was nice to discuss something at school that got me thinking and exercising
those brain cells. even if it didn't involve alan bennett's use of the
monologue form and its effectiveness on an audience...

ooh, a note to owen:

don't be shocked about the music journalism suggestion...that's exactly what
my careers adviser keeps telling me to go for. she is obviously completely
oblivious to the fact that a) i can't write (something you can all vouch
for) and b) i know absolutely fuck all about music (as i have just proved).
though i must say, i do prefer this (fantasy)career path than the other
suggestions: telecommunications, retail management and social work, that she
has also came up with....why is it, just because i do sociology people
assume i have ambitions to be a social worker?? can't they just accept that
i picked it cos i thought it would be a doss, discovered i was wrong, and
have regretted it since? careers advisers: they talk shit.

i must go to bed now. i'm supposed to be on a bus in six and a half hours.
bollocks.

lovin' and leavin' you my sweetpeas so i can curl myself up in my duvet

rachel xxx