Sinister: German Village...off-key mommy...see the connection?

Pelican303 at xxx.com Pelican303 at xxx.com
Wed Mar 1 02:56:06 GMT 2000

Oh my dearest sinistereenes...
First of all, I would like to state for the record, that I for one am all in favor of men in skirts. I've always prefered it (much to my mother's chagrin).  Besides that, it would be quite appropriate. Follow the logic.  B&S--->Scotland---->kilts.  Get it?  Good then.
I must say, we had better get this village going soon. I was so excited that I ordered the tea-picking monkeys, and a bit prematurly it would seem, for they have arrived and the opening of the actual tea plantation is nowhere  in the near future.  Hmmmm... well if anyone wants a monkey (I know it isn't woodland creature companionship, but hey, they make funny faces) please contact me...and do it quickly, they're making a mess.
I am immensly intrigued by the discussion of good voice/bad voice and, on a deeper level, what exactly is good music.  Well I would like to put forth a theory and see if you all agree or disagree.  A while back (high school) in philosophy, we discussed aesthetic judgement and I came up with my definition of aesthetic beauty - it is the quality of something that creates a feeling of nostalgia (oooh...topic connections...I'm so swift) for a time we might not neccessarily have known (at least not in this life, but that's getting religious and it's probably safer not to go there).  Well recently, this has come back to haunt me.  I'm a borderline miserable at school, and have recently been obsessing with memories of a certain place outside of DC that my parents used to take me.  It had a theatre and housed a puppet company and had an old german carosel and a closed down amusement park...always reminded me of an old village in the German black forest...anyway, that's my nostalgia ri!
!
ght there.
But I digress.  I think beauty, in one way or another, is all about nostalgia.  I know that was my initial reaction to B&S...they took to another place that I felt, somehow, I already knew.
Well...thinking along these lines, perhaps the voices we are drawn to are like the voices that sang to us in our youth...our mums and dads and grandmums and dads.  I know my mother was always the singer, and I also know she never had the greatest voice.
Of course, I still don't understand how someone could find this in Napalm Death...and I don't know anyone who sings lullibyes to their kiddies a la Celine Dion.
So perhaps my theory is a crock o shite.  Anyway, what dy'all think?  What kinds of voices do your mummsies and dadsies have?
If you have read this far, I would like to restore your respect for me (ha ha) by showing that I DO know when to just be quiet.
He jumps on his mod scooter and zooms off,
Rob...