Sinister: there is something of interest to this...it's at the end

rachel tucker rachel at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 2 00:52:00 GMT 2000

today i got up. at half past six in the morning.

i got on the bus i needed to get on with my friend.

when we were halfway to the train station, from which we were going to board
a train from oxford to birmingham to york, she turned around and said:

'you did remember your railcard, didn't you rachel?'

to which the reply was of course:

'no.'

we got of the bus, speedwalked the mile back to my house where i legged it
upstairs and proceeded to empty Every Single Drawer in my very small room to
hunt for the railcard.

<i hope you have all noticed the EXTREMELY restrained manner in which i am
telling this tale. it was not like this at the time. in fact it was more
like (to quote the scream) 'fuck fuck fuck fuck' etc>

the offending railcard was eventually uncovered (my bedroom floor is
certainly no longer uncovered. i had difficulty closing the door behind me.
why do you think i'm avoiding trying to go in there by writing this?) and we
then belted it to the bus stop and lurched on to the bus for the second
time. it was 14 to 8. we had 17 minutes to reach the station.

17 minutes can be do-able. when it's not rush hour. it used to be do-able
*in* rush hour before the introduction of the supposedly
public-transport-friendly newish
no-vehicles-and-yes-that-includes-buses-in-the two-main-roads-in-oxford
traffic system. but today, despite our best passenger rage, athletic
abilities, and constant swearing whenever the bus slowed/stopped/took
massive detours - it was like being keanu reeves, it really was - 17 minutes
just wasn't possible.

but don't despair! there is a happy ending to this tale.

while hanging around oxford station waiting for the next train to birmingham
i picked up select cos not only had someone said there was a 4-star review
of the box set in it(which makes reference to obsessive internet b&s fans
who *may* just be us ;)) but also cos the aforementioned scream, who were
already soundtracking my day, were on the front cover. so i was easily
parted from my £2.50.

it wasn't till i was finally on a train that i found within these pages...

<and this is the bit you've all been waiting for...possibly>

...a rather lovely poster of the wonder that is stuart murdoch himself!
                     :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
he is standing by the side of a rather dodgy looking car, looking sort of
shyly benevolent (i'm not sure if that's the word i mean, but it rolls of
the tongue nicely), and very very cute indeed. ahhhh. bless that angelic
little face.

so if you want struan to adorn pride of place on your bedroom wall, go buy
select! in fact, 7-eleven is still open....

lovin' and leavin' you all to FINALLY get some sleep. well, once i have
cleared a route to my bed...

rachel xxxx