Sinister: Last Thing On My Mind

Sarah Clarke starpiekat at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 2 15:27:07 GMT 2000

Dear you lot,

A long time ago back in the days of yore, Ian sent a poetry parrot heading my
way. I told it to "bugger off yer big poof", but it came back to me and fed me
sweet offerings of Nutella and cheese and Duck & Orange Paté so here's a poem
for you. I don't know what its called, but I read it in my book, THE NECESSITY
OF ART, by Ernst Fischer. It's ever so red. I could out-commie the lot of yers,
you pinko leftie bleeding heart liberals. Maybe.

Here we go. In French AND in English, for extra pretension value. Props in this
case go to Aragon, as he were t'bloke wot wrote it.

FRANCAIS

Je dis avec les mots des choses machinales,
Plus machinalement que la neige neigant
Mots démonétisés qu'on lit dans le journal,
Et je parle avec eux le langage des gens

Soudain c'est comme un sou tombant sur le bitume
Qui fat nous retourner au milieu de nos pas
Inconscient écho d'un malheur que nous tumes
Un mot chu par hasard, un mot qui ne va pas

Que je dise d'oiseaux et de métamorphoses
Du mois d'aout qui se fane au fond de mélilots
Que je dise du vent, que je dise de roses
Ma masique se brise et se mue en sanglots.

ENGLISH

I use words to say mechanical things,
More mechanically than snow as it falls;
Words uncoined that you read in the paper,
And with them I talk as people talk.

Suddenly its like a penny falling on the asphalt,
That makes us turn back and retrace our steps
Unconscious echo of a disaster we've hushed up,
A word that falls by chance, a word that will not do

And if I speak of birds, of slow changes,
Of August fading amidst the hollyhocks,
And if I speak of wind, of roses,
My music breaks and changes into sobs.

Either way you read it, its grand.

If you want me to send another poem, it will be "Last Thing on My Mind", by
Steps. Ummm who can have the poetry parrot now. *thinks* very hard...well who
else could have the parrot, but my Staying Up Late on IRC husband, Damon Seils.
Over to you! After this, you can pass it on to our oldest son.

Jaffas are GRATE. Come to the UK, you get them free with Burger King Kids Club
Meals. You culturally illiterate bunch of yanks, not having McVities like wot
we limeys do. But you do have the METROSTARS, my favourite soccer team in
America-land so I supose theres summat. Eh?

Sarah
xo

=====
"But just remember, when your teacher told you to always find a home for stray animals, she wasn't referring to your rectum." -- DNA Mag-AZINE.