Sinister: Can I come in now, mum?

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Sat Mar 4 15:18:50 GMT 2000

Errgh -

It is a measure of what a loyal citizen of this parish I have been these last
two and and a half years, that I have never been away for anywhere like this
long before.  I went skiing in Switzerland, you know.  I love pretending to be
rich instead of just posh.

It's fun looking through over 313 posts, but not that fun.  I have no idea what
you're all on about.  I feel like Bob Hoskins in 'Mona Lisa', out of prison and
bewildered by child prostitutes.  Who's that in the French maid's outfit?  Is
she another St Lucy?

It looks like little Stevie T the film reviewing monkey and I agree about
everything in the movies.  'The Talented Mr Ripley' was an archetypal 7/10 film.
It unsettled me though.  I keep staring in the mirror and saying "But I like
him.....Marge, you like *everybody*" over and over again.  I looked through my
old diaries from schooldaze the other day for references to Jude Law but all I
could find was the line "Jude complimented on my shirt today, which pleased me a
lot for some reason."  I also found a school magazine review criticising his
performance in 'The Seagull'.  Ha ha.

I don't have a scanner.  Can I send Miss Scarlet my clothes in the post?

I've just got a promo copy of the new Delgados album, called 'The Great
Eastern', which has brightened my day.  I didn't even know there was one on the
way.  It's great what you can find in the Guardian music editor's bin.

Someone who was always a bit narky got too narky once and left Sinister in
ignominious circumstances.  But before that he came up with a list of Scottish
bands that B&S fans were supposed to like but which he thought were rubbish.  I
think he dismissed the Delgados as sub-Pavement dross.  Mark E Smith once called
Pavement sub-Fall dross.  My sister once called the Fall a noisy racket.  My
sister knows shit.  Sorry, *the* shit.  No, that's not right.

I was lying in bed unable to sleep last night and rather than count sheep, I
invented a 20 minute stand-up comedy routine.  I was thinking of frightening
children at the Poetry Cafe with it.

This Delgados track seems to be about household cleaning.

Nick xxx