Sinister: squawk!

Damon Seils seilsd at xxx.net
Thu Mar 16 05:25:44 GMT 2000

Hello, my streak-free mirror.

Starry, my lovely betrothed and mother of my three or four children,
seems to have sent me the Poetry Parrot. And to think all I wanted was
never to see it again.

Here are two poems. The first one is by Eric LeMay. The second is by
Nick Flynn. They're both probably sort of... Well, I don't know. I'm not
handling the quality control here. I'm tired, and these poems might be a
bit of passionless wank.

(Oh, and the bird will next visit Cyberglam Julie. She glows.)

Damo.

- - - - - - -

I Am Beautiful

(after the sculpture by Rodin, also titled The Abduction)

SHE Before the marble chiseled from us left
    one form, for those who must concern themselves
    with form, we were alone in that whiteness.
    Do you remember? Rigid as my arms
    may be, I remember embrace, the tense
    ripple of your buttocks, your spine's length
    a ladder on fire. But you convince yourself
    otherwise, that I am base, assuming,
    settled, am no more than a sated child.
    Poised and set below me, you are weary
    as a sculptor when asked what form lies
    within a stone's center, a weariness
    I cannot, formed of a moment's loving, break.
    Held aloft, I will never come down.

HE  What I remember most is the air, its shift
    across my chest, its steady crest and ebb
    over my groin, my sudden skin newborn,
    reacting in a curt, arrested pleasure.
    And I remember now, like a spasm,
    you pulled away with each splinter that fell,
    how you begged him for the cutting's end,
    for honoring the secret of the stone.
    So many years now. Do you still believe
    I would abandon you for his voyeur's touch?
    His attentions? Perhaps. Or is it you
    who feigns desire, who would prefer to shatter
    than stay? Know that we have buried the man
    who claimed us as his own. Know that this stone
    means always and bears only what it can.

You know, I can't even bear to type the Flynn poem in. That'll be all.

Damon