Sinister: Hypotheses

Alder, Lucy lucy.alder at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 16 14:39:21 GMT 2000

OK, so if I had to make a completely blind guess, I'd say this new album
title comes from a book by Frances Hodgson Burnett, author of children's
favourites Little Lord Fauntleroy, A Little Princess and The Secret Garden.
Let's examine the evidence:

Poor little rich girls - check
Rich little poor boys - check
Foxies, birdies, ickle creatures - check
Crippled friends - check
Opportunities for strict nannies, cruel teachers and gout-ridden uncles to
say "FYHCYWLAP" - check-a-plenty
Mysterious and strangely-behaving characters called Dickon - hold on, am I
getting muddled?

Alternatively...

(Early March.  The best band in the world, commonly known as Belle &
Sebastian are sitting round the kitchen table drinking tea and dunking
malted milk biscuits)

Rich:  What are those pesky Sinister kidz getting up to these days?
Mick:  Oh, you know, the usual crap.  They're not talking enough about us
these days though and it's just not on.
Izzywizzy:  Well, now the album's FINALLY finished, we can announce the
track listing and they can have fun trying to predict what the new songs
will sound like and expressing outrage that their favourite ones aren't
included.  Then we'll be able to spend hours and hours reading about
ourselves again.  Won't that be nice?  By the way, does my bum look big in
this?
Stevie:  Yes, it does.  But how can we announce the track listing when we
haven't even got an album title?

(All pause and stare gloomily into their mugs of tea, pondering stuff.  All
except for Stu, that is, who gazes in rapture at the fridge door)

Chris:  Have you seen that French bloke who's always at the Track & Field
club in London who looks just like me with very short hair?  (he looks up)
What's wrong with you, Stu?
Stu:  Who was playing with the magnetic poetry kit last?
Sarah:  I think it was wee Karn, back in the days when they came round for
tea and malted milks all the time, before Stu D became Too Big For This
Band.  Why do you ask?
Stu:  It says "fold your hands child, you walk like a peasant".  Folks, I
have a cunning plan....

(cue eerie and mysterious music as the other band members turn towards him
with puzzled expressions, wondering what on earth he could possibly mean)

Did you like the way I gave everybody a turn to speak?  Cos it's only fair,
like.  God, I'm bored...

Next time we see Nick D wearing his favourite citrussy jeans, let's all
shout out "He looks like a great big orange, Marjory!" cos that might be
fun, like.

Juicy Lucy
--
This communication contains information which is confidential and
may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the