Sinister: oh how the mighty have fallen...

brand new shoes secretmysterydate at xxx.com
Sat Mar 18 08:03:50 GMT 2000

hello all,

it is late friday night in pittsburgh and i have just come from a big bash
after the opening reception for an graduation thesis exhibit. i must say
that i am very unhappy with some of what i saw. one piece in particular that
i thought maybe the list might like to hear about. this grad student that i
am sort of friends with did a piece that involved putting on headphones and
carrying a discman around that gave you directions and talked to you about
what you were seeing. sound familiar? well, probably not, unless you saw
Janet Cardiff's fantastic piece at the Carnegie International this year,
which was almost exactly the same, only much better and with video cameras
and headphones. the thing is, this kid was her assistant setting it up!
he helped her out and then ripped her off!!
i was so pissed i couldn't really even pay attention to the piece very much,
even the tone of his voice was similar.
now i'm going to feel awkward when i see him, because i won't be able to say
anything about his piece.
damn.

on a plus note my good friend riccardo, who left town last year to take up a
faculty position near buffalo somewhere, came back to see the show (heart!).
he's like the older hispanic brother i never had.

on a wierd note, my highly esteemed genius professor was at the party
tonight, completely smashed, hitting on my friends a bit, and asking me to
take part in this big party he is organizing for the rites of spring. it
seems to involve temple whores, virgins, blood letting (followed by
consumption, gross!) and other sorts of paganish things. he wants me to come
up with an appropriately hedonistic ceremony/performance piece for the
party, and i am feeling a little uncomfortable about it all, i must say.
oy!
oh! i played "is it wicked not to care", along with a few of my songs,
tonight at the cmu women's center fundraiser, and i guess it was live on the
radio, which is kind of neat, maybe.
ummm
i guess that's all. i hope that this was interesting enough to send to the
whole list. i always end up going back and reading honey's advice on what's
worth posting, and not being able to imagine 1200 people careing about
anything that i would say ever. so i just end up posting whatever dull stuff
is going on.
ohhh, oh oh oh!!! i almost forgot completely, SOMEONE GAVE ME A CRUSH
VOTE!!! i am very excited. i am soo curious, but i would never ask someone
to tell me. half the fun is being all goofy and trying to figure it out and
giggling to yourself and feeling cool and lame at the same time.
okay, bed time for l'il sam
sweet dreams kids.
love
sam