Sinister: Simon Armitage in BFE Iowa City.

Cody Petterson jcodyp at xxx.com
Mon Mar 20 18:18:55 GMT 2000

first off, you sinisterines are warm and helpful. second, thanks stevie,
sorry mike the b&s bowlie, and cress i mean "the" simon armitage
(rockstar or no, he's damn funny and a swell guy). third, what's a
badge? I mean, we have "patches" which are embroidered fabric pieces
which are sewn to jackets and such, or "buttons" which are round, pinned
bobbles which have an appropriate image on their face, and we have
"badges" which are pinned stars which cops wear to let you know that if
you don't cooperate they have a large firearm which they can shoot you
with. Which do you mean? fourth, one of the best things about english
language music in foreign dialects is that they words are often so
"oddly" pronounced, the listener gets to insert their own, personally
applicable, word. for instance, i always thought slow graffitti said,
"there's a poetry in the back room," meaning there is a poetry to even
the most prosaic of settings or moments, and then "help me please
interpret history in every line in scot," thus evoking the way in which
language is a constantly developing historical record. take a listen and
see what i mean. maybe we could all talk about things we "thought" b&s
said (have "we" all already done that?). anyhoo, may you all be
favorites among fortune's many playthings, thanks, and more questions
about british vernacular to come.

dearly,
cody

ps nobody reads simon in america. for that matter, nobody reads frost or
whitman or dickinson. nobody reads poetry period. i'm not bitter, i'm
just clarifying.

pss BFE is an acronym for "But% F$*k Egypt" and means the dust-ridden,
forsaken, up-sh^t-creek-without-a-paddle, middle of nowhere.