Sinister: Freakin' out in my moonage daydream...

Joseph Askins jda349 at xxx.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:17:12 GMT 2000

So it's been a couple of months since I last posted--a few people sent me
some ugly, "watch yer ass, new boy," messages that sent me cowering in the
corner for weeks.  Anyway, I'm going to barrel my way back into the world o'
messages, inch by inch, regardless of rude messages and frightening
threats...

Saw Looper and the Lips last Friday.  Looper exceeded my expectations, but
only because I tried not to hold my expectations too high.  They didn't get
much of a reaction from the crowd, as they were late hitting the stage and,
well, this is Missouri.  The visuals were...interesting, but not up to par
with others I've seen (the Lips' crazy videos definitely blew Stu and Co.
out of the water).  Still, I enjoyed the new songs, and Stuart was as kind
and loveable as he presents himself in song.  He mentioned that they were
playing a song that they had never tried live before--can't recall the name
now, but I do remember that it was one of my favorites from the
set..."<something> Johnston," perhaps?  Help me out, fans...

In other news, is anyone else still doing backflips over Virgin's Bowie
re-releases?  I got into David in the twilight of the Rykodisc era, and by
the time I was ready to start buying up every bit of Bowie booty *POOF* the
Ryko CDs were gone.  When they were pulled, THEY WERE PULLED.  I went
through so much hell trying to find used copies and what-have-you, but never
had too much luck.  So now, about three years later, I can finally go and
blow what little dough I have filling out the rest of my collection.  I'm
about 3/4 of the way there, and not in too much of a hurry to get anything
past "Scary Monsters."  I know that a lot of people have been complaining
about the lack of the bonus tracks that were present on the Ryko CDs, but I
actually like these releases better--there's no sense on having tracks
tacked onto the end of "Ziggy Stardust"--that totally defeats the purpose.

JDA