Sinister: Young Gods indeed

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 23 19:17:44 GMT 2000

Hello tricksters.  Sorry, I'm everywhere at the mo.

To anyone who was doubting that the terrific JENOWL was a real person and not
the warped vision of a 20-something prankster, there's now a photo of her in the
Gallery.  Doesn't prove anything, I suppose.

So JIHADS! is an instrumental.  That figures.

Reid, I've got worries along the same lines as you, but I know I'll have to live
with it for a few months before I can even consider jumping ship.   I just wish
they'd somehow managed to not take so bloody long over it.

Right, the rest of this post is my last word on the inkies, so the sensible ones
can stop read now.

> By the time I was taking an interest, the post-Morley
>NME seemed to have slipped into stultifying greyness (the Lamacq
>years), while MM extolled everything vibrant and left-field*.

Well Lamacq was only the live editor, wasn't he?  Poor boy - he's harmless
enough.  Grey as the err... wind,  though, you're right.  Maybe I caught the end
of MM's golden era.  I just remember them getting all excited about Cranes and
the Telescopes while the NME was getting on with the business in hand.  Err..
Baggy.

 I expect Mike's right that Reynolds et al. cared more about what they were
writing.  I just had the impression they were barking up the wrong tree most of
the time.  I did enjoy the flights of fancy sometimes, but you must remember
that in those days I was still impressed by Steven Wells' belligerence.  And
Collins and Maconie were funny in print.  The NME covered hip hop and dance
music a lot better too.

Number Ones in End of year writers' polls:

1987
NME: Public Enemy - 'Yo! Bum rush the show'
Melody Maker: The Young Gods - 'The Young Gods'
1988
NME: Public Enemy - 'It takes a nation of millions..'
Melody Maker: The Pixies - 'Surfer Rosa'
1989
NME: De La Soul - 'Three feet high and rising'
Melody Maker: The Cure - 'Disintegration'

I think hip-hop *was* the most important/exciting genre of those times and
frankly the MM's choices (maybe 1988 is debatable) just look bizarre.

When did Steve Sutherland take over at MM?  I definitely hated it then.