Sinister: Johan van der Keuken ...in PERSON!

Steven Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Fri Mar 24 04:57:59 GMT 2000

so yes, i havn't posted for a while again.  it is a sad thing.....

i have to do the professional thing and play music that doesn't thrill me
tomorrow.  not that all the music i'll be playing doesn;t thrill me but some
of it doesn't and some of the music i will be linked to by association is
just dreadful. i don't want to go into any more detail than that, but it
kind of upsets me.

also, this is a post designed to rouse jillian locke.  UP WITH YOU! c'mon
then, it seems that everyone i knew as merely a person has become a member
of sinister but they never post so, after having recieved 2 charming emails
from jill i'm encouraging her to go public with her fabulouslness....unless
she's still in the nursery in which case stay where you are and don't cause
a fuss.  also, ben should post.  you should ben, really.  the world needs
you.

enough with the personal torontocentricty.....

also it was a smashing day today...and i got to play stereo total, yo la
tengo and new order on my boom box, sit on a porch, blow bubbles and drink
tea, all this happening in the hight of university paranoia week in public
and between classes i feel like such a rebel.  but it was also such a hazy
nice day.

tomorrow i'll probably spend all day playing tabla and getting sore
fore-arms.

in the the most tangential way possible the following is belle and sebastian
content.  lately i've been discussing anthony perkins with friends and it
seems that the world is divided.  especially when it comes to Orson Welles'
version of the trial (of which anthony is the star and which in its original
booky version is featured on the cover of sinsiter) people either love him
or hate him.....and i think he's great.  what a guy!  never before has an
actor conveyed the same geeky awkwardness and poorly put together manners
(that i feel are so prominent in myself) and put them on the silver screen.
i even sort of look like him, and talk like him a bit too.....and he;s like
david byrne which makes him even cooler.   but others just find him
annoying, which i suppose says more about me than anthony perkins.  just
things like the way he chews that jerky or whatever after he's pushed the
car into the swamp in psycho makes my heart flutter.

the only actor to ever touch me deeper than anthony perkins is sean connery
in Zardoz.

just rent zardoz and tell me it's not 'unlike any other movie in the
universe'.

also, there's a Haneke retrospective on at the theater accross from my house
which means i'll be in for hours of unquieting teutonic film influenced by
bresson, i can hardly imagine anything more thrilling.

actually, love would be better but that's just asking too much of the
universe.

also, if anyone who is not on the northamerican continent desires a pretty
good canadian pop band to play in your town just drop me a line, we await
your call with baited breath.

sktaedvoe