Sinister: Everybody's trying to make it another 60s retro record

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 24 15:12:41 GMT 2000

Me *again*,

I'm not really prejudging the album the basis of the track titles.  I'm just
with the Dossinger boy in detecting a current of 60s pastiche that I don't
ultimately think brings out the best in the band.  Where do I detect this
current?  Well, on the basis of some of the new songs that I have heard live
(not all of them making it to the album) and other people's descriptions of
'Legal Man' and some of the tracks on the album.  It was 'Dirty Dream Number
Two' that first got me worried.  A favourite of many, I know, but for me the
first time I heard it was the the time it sounded best, unlike other tracks
which grew and grew on repeated listening.  There's something about pastiche
that precludes a song really mattering, having a life of its own.  Now I know
this could all be idle speculation, and the album might not be one big 60s fest,
or it might confound my prejudices and *be* a 60s fest and still wonderful, but
I was just wanting Reid to know that he wasn't the only one with slight worries.

Having said all that, I think judging a record solely on the basis of its
tracklisting is a *fantastic* idea anyway.  Stop being so sensible.

It's weird the way the artwork has disappeared from both the Beepster and band
sites.   Do you think they're trying to stop bootleggers or something more
sinister is at work?  Have the twins of evil objected to their representation?

I'm still reeling from Alasdair's latest missive.   He's right about 'Being John
Malkovich'.  Terrific script.  If you're put off by the worry that it's just
zany art-wankery then don't be.  It's played so straight, that's what's so good
about it.  The characters have their on-screen existence pared down to the
status of puppets (ooh - ironic) in the film's comic vision.  They don't display
the usual boring 'human' ways of dealing with events such as you normally expect
in films.  Except John Malkovich himself, who therefore has rings run around him
by everyone else.  In a way it reminded me of Hal Hartley's short film
'Ambition', which is a blast too.  Oh, and if anyone is interested what my idea
of the sexiest thing on earth is, then see Catherine Keener's Maxine in 'Being
John Malkovich'.

Vilkas said:

>Ok, call me a traitor; but this 'twee' business is getting annoying. I like
>twee, I like beer, just not that much at once. And...to make this pertinent:
>Belle & Sebastian's music is much more than twee.  Ok, flame me for
>this...

Ooh no, we don't go in for that flaming business round here.  And anyway, you're
quite right.  Please remember that not all of us go along with the idea that
being a B&S fan means being a sickly sweet thumb-sucker and proud of it.   I
don't mind if people want to be that way, but please don't drag me into it.
I'm in danger becoming the self-appointed Sinister version of the Academie
Française on this point, but seeing as the bloody word won't go away, and people
keep asking about it, perhaps I ought to stick a dictionary definition in a sig
file.  Yes, have your own definition if you like.

    Nick xx

 Twee adj. Brit. excessively sentimental, sweet or pretty. [C.19 from
 'tweet', mincing or affected pronunciation of SWEET]

 ie. NOT GOOD

(Collins Millennium Dictionary)