Sinister: things and things its spring its spring

Steven Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Sat Mar 25 19:31:18 GMT 2000

> i'm tempted to give a semantic explanation for the oddness of the title.
> a superficial mental perusal of their discography and of song/album
> titles, in general, leads me to the conclusion that it's on account of it
> being a sentence.  most song titles seem to be noun phrases, if one
> accepts that titles like 'going nowhere fast' are nominal gerunds.  this
> is appropriate since the title names an object, albeit an abstract one.

i'm willing to agree with your entire analysis, esp the part about offering
an entire context instead of merely a name...that's clever says i.  however,
if the fact that the title of the new record is remarkable by virtue of it
being NOT a noun phrase what is to be made of 'if you're feeling sinsiter'
which is not merely the album around which their entire discography spins
(this is debatable but ...) but it is also a Compliment Phrase or CP.
essentially the 'If' at the front is modifying an already exiting sentence
 being 'you are feeling sinister') and making it conditional....it almost
begs one to say "well i'm not so fuck off."  i'm not sure where i'm going
with this but i just saw an opportunity to open my linguistics text so i
suppose that can't be a bad thing (as exams are coming up).

also....

hary hunt in his 'graphic porn, free pimms and world peace' magnum opus
stated that:

>act, sound, etc.  Smell, that's different, smelling nice is dignity, not
>pride.

yes yes yes....i view it as actively rude of someone to appear smelly and in
public.  they are going to get it.

also, for those new Torontonians to the list, they will be thrilled to know
that there is a thriving sinister commune here in toronto (well a community
maybe, commune is stretching it because we don't all live together and grow
our own food) and usually things are stage managed by DebS and Diana who run
things in this town.  check the jeepster meetup board for deets.

also, i'll be at the smiths night tonite wearing a lavender shirt and
dancing my legs down to the knees, or possibly just scowling and being
drunk....who knows.

steven