Sinister: the second cool thing is.......

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Sun Mar 26 22:04:44 BST 2000

Dear all, hello again.

I'm back, and thank you to all of you who have decided to continue reading
my rather self-indulgent dialogue of an ill person.

The second thing which has made me feel a bit better was a tv show I saw
last night. When I couldn't sleep I turned on the tv to see the top ten of
the most irriating songs ever, and despite every one being a valid entry, I
enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed it because it made me smile, I enjoyed it
because it gave me nostalgic glow (at 17? this is crazy!), but also I
enjoyed the music. Yes that's right, I enjoyed the music. Now there's been
some interesting discussion on this list recently about the pigeon-holing of
some music, and although that's good sometimes when you're trying to find
out generally what somebody else likes, it can also be dangerous. However,
what really made me smile was the fact that I enjoyed these songs, and
although I have a wide musical taste (B&S - Leftfield - Madonna (early
stuff)), I was sure I was going to be snooty.

I wasn't snooty, and I suddenly realised in a cheesy Hollywood way, this is
what music's all about: It's about making people feel something they
wouldn't feel otherwise. Music really isn't that serious a business. Sure,
sometimes, albums come out which are very serious and very fab (such as
XTRMTR and others), but it doesn't have to be, and all these people who get
terribly worked up about whether they have an original Tigermilk or whatever
seem to be taking it all the wrong way. In the grand scheme of things it
doesn't really matter, and people enjoy what they enjoy, and if that falls
into a particular category, then fine. If it doesn't that's fine too. The
basic point to this ramble is that what made me happy was the fact that I
wasn't snobby about music, and that I liked it for what it was not what it
stood for, and I reckon the more people start doing that, and taking Harry
Hunt's advice of thinking twice before doing something that you wouldn't
think twice about, perhaps everyone would get along a bit better. The point
is that I think people should try to like what *they* like rather than what
they think it would be cool for them to be *seen* to like, it you catch me.

Anyway, enough of that. I'd just like to apologise for the above, since I'm
ill and thinking decidedly crookedly. If anyone agrees please say so,
because it will give me validation.

Lots of love,

SamW.xx

P.S. I'd just like to say a "hello" to Nessa, who doesn't have a voice yet,
though who has been rather nice to me.