Sinister: Oh yes...Richard Scarry is lurvely....

Pelican303 at xxx.com Pelican303 at xxx.com
Sun Mar 26 22:49:16 BST 2000

Oh no...you've started the boy.
The hours I have spent arguing "good" music vs. "fun" music...and the
existance of those that are both and those that are neither...
But I figure I'll throw in my two cents...if you are easily bored...delete
this now.

Okay...now that we've gotten those fools out of the way...
Obviously, there is no one purpose to music...or any art for that
matter...but perhaps a line should be drawn between certain forms of faux-art
and "true" art (not that I mean to say I know the meaning of art...but I
think you all see what I mean...not being snotty just...okay okay...enough of
that).  I am of the mind, that the role of art, above all else, is to
transmit philosophy and deeper thought.  We are all little perfect spheres
trapped in ourselves and surrounded by infinity...I believe it was Hume who
spoke of a devil that trapped us in a room and fed us reality and we never
realized that all we see are merely illusions of the devil.  I write music in
an attempt to knock chips in that wall...to take my thoughts, bundle them up
into little spider webs and toss them out, hoping some other perfect little
sphere will grab onto them...praying for that connection, that hole in the
wall where they can see me and I can see them.
    Music that isn't as serious as all that is not neccisarily
inferior...just serves a different purpose.  that is certainly something
inherently right about making people feel happy.  However, if the balance is
upset and people are too obsessed with making themselves happy to think for a
second and contemplate the deeper side of this life, well then something is
wrong.  If everyone wants nothing but another group of hot boys they can
cream over, then the philosopher and writer is ignored, and if the writer is
ignored, then our collective sociatal faults fail to be recognized and our
progress as a civilization that I believe, at its core, is good and not evil,
ceases.
    Dance and be merry...but think as well.  We need merry makers, but do we
not need critics, pessimists, cynics, philosophers, lovers, prophets, and
poets as well?
    For some of us, music IS that serious...music IS art...music IS one of
the only things that keeps us connected and sane.

    If you've made it this far, you are obviously a loser and need to get out
more.

Love you,
Rob