Sinister: Kiddie acrobats

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Wed Mar 29 17:12:54 BST 2000

> One day my legs will turn to jelly, and then I'll be sorry.

Yum yum Erica's jelly legs.  When I was younger the only fantasies I could come
up with were entire planets made of FOOOD.  Yum yum yum, chomp chomp chomp.

> News just in -
> I'm going to All Tommorows Parties. I'm so excited, I can't
> wait to stand on the seafront.

Hmm.. visions of Emily Lloyd flashing her knickers in 'Wish You Were Here'.  You
don't want to end up like her, clinging onto a fading star, making occasional
appearances in films that no one sees and being Cynthia Payne.  Glad to hear
you're coming though Erica.   Is someone going volunteer to collect a list of
everyone on the list who's going, like last time?  I'm not.  Sigh, was it really
a year ago that we were an angry mob demanding that Katrina clarify whether we
could take plastic bottles of vodka into the site or not?

Mark C:

> Which reminds me, I don't think I bigged up Youn for sending me a Venn
>diagram of Catholics, homosexuals, uncle Tom Cobbley and all, which won the
>prize even though (or perhaps because) I couldn't figure out what the hell
>was going on. More maths in pop.

To anyone who was wondering, as far as I am aware 'bigged up' is not a
recognised piece of English vernacular.  I think Mark's trying to talk tough.
My flatmate has not been allowed to forget the time his retort to a minicab
driver asking for an extortionate fare: "You're shitting me!".  Anyway, yes.
More maths in pop.

Jim G:

>>I'm excited. As to the whole idea of "retro-sixties", jeez, does it really
matter? I'm of the mind that B&S is in part descendent from those folk-rock
roots anyways. Retro? It doesn't parse for me, the titles and look of the
album still owe to where B&S have been.
    If it is retro-sixties it is in the idea that B&S are musical
descendents of the folk groups of the sixties in the same way that rock of
the fifties grew out of skiffle and country/westen and blues/jazz. You'll
pardon me but I get in a slight sniff when the term retro is used as a
pejorative. Which it can be pejorative in the same way 'camp' is. When
people today try and do camp they usually make a fine mess of it in the same
way people who *try* to 'do' retro stuff end up with a lackluster product.
But there's a difference between "retro" and simply playing folksy music
with a semblance of sixties nostalgia.>>

Yep - agreed that B&S are "in part descendent from those folk-rock roots".  The
folksy thing is what comes naturally to them and it's wonderful.  But as you
say, "there's a difference between "retro" and simply playing folksy music with
a semblance of sixties nostalgia."  The latter is great, the former not so
great.  There's a *danger* that in striving to evolve their sound, broaden their
horizons and escape whatever labels they've been given, bands don't evolve from
within but instead look to emulate 'cooler', fuller styles from the records they
admire in pop history.  This tends to produce records that sound nice and shiny
but ultimately don't matter as much.   There's a fine line between absorbing
influences and wearing them on your sleeves.  That's all.  I'll shut up now.

Nicholas xx