No subject

Adam Chapman dunca_chap at xxx.com
Mon May 1 21:55:56 BST 2000

   Hello people, its been a long time and i thought that i should probably
show my face [metaphorically speaking of course, none of you i suspect are
REALLY bothered about seeing it], just because i felt like it and that the
issue of B+S popularity has risen again from the great undead mass and i
never got round to commenting on it in the first place. My thought, if such
it can be called is this; B+S make quite glorious P!O!P! and the idea of
music is at some level to be heard and felt. The implication of this is that
music is an individual experience and thus does it actually matter how many
people listen to it? judging by the number of say, REM fans knocking around
the list i should say not but thats not to say that any of you see REM, or
indeed B+S in exactly the same way, its just that both hold a certain appeal
at one level which the members of this list find sufficiently to share,
albeit as part of 'communities' of differing sizes [though to be fair, REM
have been at it a hell of a long time by P!O!P! standards]. Hope someone
amongst the c. 1300 found that of some interest...

   Noticed the word 'Townies' in a couple of recent posts, now sorry to
sound ignorant, having had a rural upbringing and all, and thus not sharing
such cosmopolitan language [or if it comes to that being deliberately thick,
just for once, i seek information on something that bothers me...], its just
that where i come from, 'Townies' are annoying people who leave gates open
whilst wondering in the wrong direction wearing green wellies and allowing
their dogs to chase small children. however, i suspect from the context that
it means those perpetually dressed in sportsware whilst being Destinies
Child/Stereophonics fans. Sorry if this display of petty ignorance annoys
anyone, or indeed offers the impression that i am but a simple country boy
[heavens, Tony Blair claims this folks], but it makes a change from people
asking for a definition of 'Twee'...

Adam (apologising for excessive length)