Sinister: Selling out- who really gives a .......

Paul Arathoon paularathoon at xxx.com
Thu May 4 10:22:19 BST 2000

Hi Kids

I think that this entire thread should end. Now.
Every band ever has had this same tired old argument over them: the moment
they sell enough records to cover the recording and promotional costs, the
fans who, inevitably, have been there since "the beginning"are in uproar. I
remember a Pavement fan being in a state of anguish because he heard Terror
Twilight was being recorded in a 16-track studio rather than in a shitty 4
track one becuase he saw it as bowing down to "The Man" whoever the fuck he
is.
If Belle And sebastian really decided that they were not going to sell out
in the way seemingly demanded by soem listees this is what would have
happened. Tigermilk would have not been re-released. Tours would have not
been promoted in any way, there would be no CD or minidisc releases of
anything and anything released on vinyl would have been a very limited
release. And as for you people in sunnier climes (ie not In Britain) the
chances of you getting hold of anything without paying extortionate import
prices would have been impossible.
And if all that had happened, and thank God it didn't, would we all be
happy? No.

Belle And Sebastian are part of a huge multinational music business. They
know it,  and we know it. I don't see a problem with it. If you are in a
band you get money from selling records. If you don't sell you don't get
much money. You become poor- see how poor(financially) Blur were before they
actually started to sell anything and there's only four of them. I want
Legal Man to go top ten because hearing B&S on radio 1 daytime is a triumph
and because they deserve it.Props to whoever said they didn't realise the
route to top 40 success was electric sitars....

Paul.
Selling out since 1978.
Finished my Disseration since yesterday.