Sinister: sell outs? PAH!

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Thu May 4 11:06:02 BST 2000

One point no one seems to have raised re: B&S's supposed "selling out" is
the fact that 'Legal Man' is a non-album single. Non-album singles are the
epitome of "indie-cred", and are not usually released by such luminaries as
Steps, 5ive etc. 'Real' bands like The Smiths, Joy Division and New Order
release these type of singles. The reason the format is not very popular
with mainstream acts is because these singles don't help sell albums because
.... they're not on them.

Sure, B&S could have given us an album track, split over two CDs, with
remixes or something on the second disc, but in the interest of their
fanbase (no doubt - can't see any other reason) they didn't. In the same way
that the 'Modern Rock Song' EP was released as a 4 track, 20 minute & one
second EP a few months after anything with four tracks or over 20 minutes
became ineligible for chart entry. There will always be naysayers who moan
about how they "like their new old stuff more than their new stuff" and
rabbit on about selling out, but personally I welcome new fans to the B&S
fold - it's a great place to be, and hopefully not an exclusive club. If
more people can be moved by B&S, in the way I have been, then I'm very very
happy for them. You can wait a lifetime for a band as special as Belle &
Sebastian to come around - and I think they're too good not to share.

May their stars shine bright on TOTP!

(phew ... rant over)

good night folks.

Lawrence