Sinister: Jeepster chat stabs you in the back.

idle berry idleberry at xxx.com
Thu May 4 12:29:02 BST 2000

dear all, this is a message I thought anyone might
want to read.
In repsonse, yes, I am well pissed off.
While jeepster chat is closing for financial reasons,
fair enough. but I thought some of the other comments
Mr David Kitchen had to make were a little bitchy and
quite frankly, backstabbing. The fact that he hasn't
even bothered to tell anyone (and he has our e mail
addresses at his disposal) to their face, in my
opinion, adds to the fact that what he is saying is
cowardly and pathetic.

As a regular user of jeepster chat, I have experienced
a minimal amount of abuse. Those who have abused it
have always been dealt with accordingly. Thats what
happens.

But I think it was entirely unfair of David Kitchen to
say we are unfriendly. I myself started going into
jeepster chat around the same time I joined sinister.
And that was at the start of the year, if anyone isn't
sure.

I found everyone to be friendly.
Thats why I kept going there.
And the majority of newomers I have seen come in have
also either commented on the friendliness, and usually
come back in.

So what happens when you start going to a site on a
regular basis? you become a regular.
You chat to people, about everything and anything, you
debate things, and discussions range from belle and
sebastian songs, Stuart David leaving B+S, to what we
have to do that day.

In my case, usually far too much work that I keep
postponding!

And it doesn't usually seem to matter who you are
chatting to. A newcomer, who is interested in talking,
or another regular, who wants to know how you are
getting on with life in general.

So some people have insulted his boss. Well, to be
honest, I'm not the type to lay down the red carpet
and scatter rose petals just for someone who is deemed
important.

Not into arse licking myself. My tongue is nice and
pink, and intend to keep it that way rather than turn
it a vile shade of brown.

Like I said, there are a few people who abuse chat,
and are dealt with accordingly. And jeepster have our
e mail addresses if they want to point fingers.

I think to call jeepster chat cliquey is a bit out of
order. Regulars come and go. Its the same with all
chat sites, mailing sites, message boards, etc etc
etc.

So what made David Kitchen take a leave of his senses
and start insulting those people (I feel I'm probably
included in this) that regularly visit this site?
People who are on the whole, a friendly bunch. I've
made friends there, its not impossible.

Who knows? any one got a conspiracy theory about
Aliens arriving at his little office and nicking off
with the real bloke?

Ultimately, what it has created, is a feeling of
bitterness that he has been so underhand to bitch like
this.

Close it for financial reasons, but don't blame the
chatters for it.

This is all my own opinion, and I realise not everyone
will either agree with me on it, nor appreciate it.

But I had to let it out.

david kitchen, sod you.

cheers,
Idleberry

>the site recives 400,000 page impressions PER WEEK
>the chat engine does the same.
>
>the site costs £500 per month to keep and maintain,
but barely covers
it's
costs
>through the jeepster web store (no profits are
actually made since we
subsidise
>the site).
>
>the chat engine costs £600 per month and has no money
flowing in to
support
it and
>also takes a lot of admin and is continually abused
by it's users (it
doesn't help
>when my boss goes in, and even when he tries to talk
about the music,
he
just gets
>people swearing at him or talking about knickers!).
>
>basically put, the site is a very large high
maintenance one, for a
service
to be
>kept, it has to prove that it is worth it. the site
in general has
done
this, but
>the chat has done the opposite, it is not proving
that it is
financially
worth it,
>it is not encouraging people to listen to the other
bands, it is not a
welcoming
>place for fans any more (it was for a while), a
clique has also
evolved
which
>prevents it now being the welcoming place it was.
>
>basically the chat will be removed, and most likely
when i'm
self-employed
i may
>be able to set up my own one in replace without the
need for
accountability, but
>jeepster will not host it since it costs too much and
is inefficient.
the
jeepster
>site will instead try a multi-threaded bulletin board
(you can keep
these
on topic
>and if it's part of the site it will encourage use of
the web store
and may
>actually cover it's costs!), but the jeepster chat is
doomed.

mailto:david at jeepster.co.uk
http://www.jeepster.co.uk
> PO Box 14153, London SW11 4XU, UK