Sinister: I'm a big baby

STOUT RJ Ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Thu May 4 15:55:30 BST 2000

         I think I must be very affected by smells. Not an
attack of The Smells, you understand, I mean the smell of
places and objects. I just walked into the toilets here in my
department and I think the cleaners must have just left
because it smelled very clean and it reminded me of the
changing rooms in an old cricket pavillion where my dad
used to play. It was very strange, I was most overcome.
Could have been the fumes, though. Oh dear it sounds like I
spend all my time hanging around in changing rooms and
toilets now. I don't, honest.

         My physics tutor looks like a big baby. Whenever
he's explaining something to me I expect him to do a fat burp
and gurgle "I'm a big bayy-beee". That would be fun.

         Nick continues his crusade against tweeness. True,
twee's not a flattering word, and I'm not all that keen on
giving myself a label, but I'm quite fond of the, um, ambient
of the band and I don't think it should be denyed. Maybe
there's another word to describe it. Other genres of music
have suitably vague terms to describe themselves with, so
perhaps we need one that isn't so, well, twee. I remember
reading an interview with Tompaulin recently where the
singer said that they sounded a bit like B+S, but were less
"sickly sweet", I think. And I remember thinking to myself,
"But Belle and Sebastian aren't sickly sweet are they?".
Most of Belle and Sebastian's songs are quite sad really. I think
one of the best things about them is that they can sing about
what they do *without* being twee. There's nothing wrong with
not being very rock, and just because you're not it doesn't
automatically mean you're twee, you know.

         On the subject of selling out: I'm bored, can we talk
about something else now please?

 Robin x