Sinister: Small Blue Thing

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu May 4 22:11:02 BST 2000

I think Suzanne Vega said it best with "I guess it's called my destiny, that
I am changing, changing". It's been a long time since the
shock/thrill/freakout of the first B&S tunes, they've changed a bit, and
we've changed a bit. I haven't heard the new album, that would be impossible
because it isn't out yet, but if I had I wouldn't be at all surprised to
find it startlingly uncommercial and uncompromising, as if the intervening
years have been spent building something up and then painstakingly taking it
to pieces again. Personally, I can't wait to hear it. I'm particularly keen
to hear what Isobel's come up with this time.

Good old Stuart! I do so love him when he's angry. I didn't know he goes
round spraying the walls. Our neighbour's cat does that. I like Primal
Scream's new stuff, Stuart. I didn't at first, but then I realised it
sounded exactly like "Holidays in the Sun" by The Sex Pistols, and isn't
that what they started out trying to do? Right back in the beginning?
There's a photo of The 'Scream in this week's Q Magazine. They look
remarkably like former list favourites The 'Waddy. And their politics sounds
a lot like drug-addled nonsense. Will they be campaigning for that farmer as
well? I bet Malcolm "The Duke" Allured will, because one of his pubs is
quite isolated. Showaddywaddy were one of the first multi-racial groups in
Britain. They rarely get the credit for that. Some of my friends used to
take the piss out of me for liking Primal Scream. I sold all my old vinyl
the other week. It was a very painful experience, and it didn't have
anything to do with not being able to listen to the music anymore.

Jeepster's reasons for closing the chat room sound hauntingly familiar to
some of us. Apparently, Sinister is a clique too. Jeepster bashing is one of
the things that make the list worthwhile, it usually goes like this; we bash
Jeepster, they take us off their Snow Patrol news list, we bash Jeepster,
they start their own list, we bash Jeepster, they try to get people on the
list in trouble, we talk about knickers to Jeepster, they close down the
chat room.  I think it's all done in a spirit of fun. Surely?

I hope I dream about an angry Stuart Murdoch tonight.

Peter