Sinister: I know they've got another face / it's not a fault of mine these days

Scott Plagenhoef splag at xxx.net
Fri May 5 20:08:34 BST 2000

oh, hello:

Nick beat me to the punch regarding Chris' defense of the 12´´ extended mix
of "Judy is a Dick Slap." Ibiza is seemingly that next easy step in a
lightning dance career for B&S (thanks, orson.). Well, if that Barry
White-sampled track is set to be the Next Big Thing on the club floor, I
guess that swings the door wide for other throwbacks to follow -- including
B&S (provided Stevie can fit the sitar through the door jam). Apparently,
then the extended dick slap (that never gets old, does it?) wouldn't have
excluded them from the charts, and I have to echo Tim's grumblings regarding
the price gouging. Let the DJ's get the white label. Pah.

Nick wrote:
Hang on.  Miller's right - the album doesn't come out for another month.
How
can they have heard it?  Can someone explain?

An interesting note: Interviewing Stuart David a week or so ago for one of
the world's many fledgling 'zines, and it seems he has, incredibly, yet to
hear a finished copy himself.

Hmm, I have to be a bit confused about the tweehuggers faction of our little
world so proudly clinging to *that* word. There is (thankfully) not a single
word that sums up our band‹or ourselves. For one, I'm hopeful that "twee"
doesn't come the closest. Despite Ian's well-written defense of such, B&S
aren't the sole property of childhood nostalgia or idealized visions of the
world. There is brutality. There is subversiveness. There is smut. Yes,
there is a lot of whimsy and grace besides, but it's the blend that makes
the magic. Many of the characters in Struan's songs are out in the real
world with real problems, few solutions, and too many consequences. It's one
of the things that seperates them from other wonderful, but frankly narrower
bands' worldviews such as the heart-on-the-sleeve sentiments of the Field
Mice or the bedsit lovelorn of Nick Drake.

It's a world full la-la-la's , but one in which that whimsical expression of
nonchalance can be tossed off after either "get some fish and chips" or "if
we killed him now, well who's going to miss him?" (cheers, Sarah.)

scott.