Sinister: I'm just a gelatin pipe and I twist within an inch

Melissa Williams feathermeat at xxx.com
Sat May 6 00:18:19 BST 2000

Dear Stranger:
Hi.  I'm new.  I don't know whether I should tell about myself or not, but
I'm going to, cause damned if I can think of a single interesting thing to
say about Belle and Sebastian.  So.  I'm 19 and I would be in my junior year
of college, but I'm living with my family instead right now.  This is not by
choice.  They're all okay, but I live in the armpit of the United States
(Henderson, North Carolina.  Anybody on this list live close by?).  I work
at the library in town.  The rest of the time, I read like a maniac.  Right
now I'm reading a book about the history of psychiatry and _Ulysses_, for
the 7th time.  I am not kidding when I say that I'd die for that book.  This
isn't because I am some sort of prodigy who understands it or anything crazy
like that.  I just think it's the funniest and most beautiful and most
perfect book there is.  If you let yourself be confused, it stops being
intimidating and starts being a blast.  Okay.  When I'm not reading, I'm
often writing (just poetry; good prose is beyond me).  I like to sculpt and
paint and play the flute and all that artsy stuff.  I'm a big dilettante,
but only because I don't have any talent for anything in particular.  I like
the Beatles and Bob Dylan and Mozart and Bruce Springsteen and Dvorak and
pretty much any music from the latter part of the sixties.  I'm learning
auto mechanics, so sometimes I work on my car when it's warm.  When I was in
school, I majored in English and German, but I want to go to med school.  My
big dream is to be a pediatric psychiatrist, but I'm not convinced that
it'll happen.  If I can't do that, I'll probably be a writer (just not the
kind I would like to be).  I smoke a lot.  I have depression and OCD, and
people scare the shit out of me, but I'm lucky in that I have a really
fabulous psychiatrist.  I'm still pretty lonely and unbalanced and all that,
but my chemical problems are starting to clear up some.  Okay, that's
enough.  I'm sorry for being lame and talking about myself for forty-seven
years, but I think maybe this way someone who likes the same stuff as me
will email me.
I had this crazy dream last night for the second time in a few weeks.  In
the dream, my nipples had turned into full-sized antlers.  Yes, antlers.
(Dream nipples don't count as a body part mention, do they?  Well, I'll take
my chances.)  They were all blackened and they were molting (that's what
it's called, right?  Where that velvety stuff falls off?).  They were huge
and they kept getting all tangled up in each other.  I couldn't wear a
shirt, so I was walking around bumping into walls with these huge
antler-nipples.  The worst thing was, they weren't made out of bone, or
whatever it is that real antlers are made of.  They were just regular nipple
material.  So all the bumping into things _really_ hurt.  I know that it all
means something very important, but what?  The Shadow knows...
All right, that's all.  Time for a cigarette.  Take care...
Melissa W.

* "Are you the ring in the peacock's tail, *
*  the round stone temple on an arid       *
*  mountain, the black belly of a fish     *
*  in moon rings?  Are you a footprint     *
*  glazed on the urn of the sand,          *
*  the litter-shield of a warrior's body,  *
*  a bride in a white hut,                 *
*  the drum or its message of love?"       *
*      -Jay Wright, "Inscrutability"       *