Sinister: Here is the news

Mr Smiley smiley at xxx.uk
Sun May 7 20:55:17 BST 2000

Hello darling,

    I feel I should address some of the burning issues of today. here are
the things I want to talk about:

------------Selling out--------------------------

Actually, no. I don't want to talk about it. It's just a completely absurd
thing to talk about. It'd make more sense if I wrote a theory on what
flavour condoms the Pope uses. But I'm not going to do that either. Sorry.

------------Twee---------------------------------

If you mean twee to be happy, skipping in the fields with rabbits naivety,
then it's probably a bad thing. But what if twee is redefined in the context
of Belle & Sebastian? As certain people have pointed out, B&S lyrics are far
from naive. I consider myself to be a bit twee, but not in a happy, skipping
in the fields with rabbits kind of way. I'm cynical as hell, and a miserable
bastard. But I'm also some of the things you'd associate with twee. Like, I
don't know, being afraid of girls I guess. It's all a matter of definition.
I don't really believe in hiding from the world, just changing my perception
of it to make things easier (I'm not talking about drugs here, by the way).
So is that a bad thing? If so, I'll have to live with it. People *do* get
doused in fuel and lit for being black, yes. And anybody that pretends this
isn't the case is probably living by the negative definition of twee. But
people also hug each other too. I'm not *that* cynical. maybe that's it,
tweeness. Actually still believeing in human goodness. Probably not.

------------Primal Scream: Tossers?--------

I'd like to jump to the defence of Primal Scream. I mean I agree with Stuart
to some extent about music being about art rather than politics, and I
suppose if I had any musical talent and/or enough friends to form a band I
wouldn't write political songs. But on the other hand, Exterminator isn't
that political is it? Swastika Eyes and the title track are, and accelerator
might be I don't know on account of not being able to hear the words. But
the other stuff isn't really. I don't see how Kill All Hippies can be seen
as political, seeing as the title just comes from that sample at the start.
Anyway, bands having a cause like that can be a good thing. If it wasn't for
Asian Dub Foundation I wouldn't know who Satpal Ram is, for instance. And if
Radiohead can raise money for Amnesty International, then how is that a bad
thing? Although, like Stuart says, a musician's political activities don't
need to be plastered all over the NME, if they aren't, how will The Kids get
their political education? Not from effing school that's for sure.

Right, so that's all I've got to say. I'll crawl back into my basement now,
byebye.

Platonic hugs,
Mike
Email - smiley at rebelmonkey.freeserve.co.uk