Sinister: Tweeeee ...It just rolls off the tongue...

Hoveringsoul hoveringsoul at xxx.com
Sun May 7 22:58:36 BST 2000

I am doing my best to get in near(ish) the start of a discussion, so forgive
me if these thoughts seem about as organised and thought out as the contents
of that drawer that holds everything that doesn't go anywhere else -
assuming everyone knows what I mean on that one.

What, Hippy?

The definition of twee has been thrown about a bit - like an old leatherless
football that has been in a puddle - and I've been thinking, unfortunately.

I think I like the idea of being twee.

Thing is I don't think it's twee in the "excessively sentimental" sense that
I like.  (Not that I am saying Collins Dictionary is wrong...).  I'm hardly
sentimental at all, so being excessively so would be difficult for me.  I
don't like souvenirs in the typical sense, and I hate photographs from
holidays etc. to look at again and again, much as I adore photography
itself.  So, I want to cross myself off that particular list for starters.

While I have the lid off my big red felt tip squeaky non-washable permanent
marker I will also cross myself off the list of people who go skipping in
meadows with bunnyrabbits.  I trust no explanation is required.

I do not consider myself naive and oblivious to the nasty side of life
either and I would not like to be.  There are some things that people need
to be made aware of, and there are far too many people who are aware but
indifferent.  If this were the definition of tweeness, twee people should be
shot to remind them that this happens to people occasionally.

I'm running short on lists so I will move on to what I consider to be a bit
twee, in the way I like.

The underlying thing about my understanding of tweeness is the twee person's
perception of the world. Perhaps Mr. Mike Smiley was right - it involves
changing the perception of the world to make things easier. It results in a
harmless tendency to make everything seem poignant and poetic.  Not in a
cringing melodramatic way but more a fleeting insight into the beauty of
life, no matter how brutal.  Like the film, American Beauty, but without the
plastic bag between two wind machines.

This is proving difficult to explain, and I am venturing ever nearer Collins
Dictionary again....but I don't like that idea!

I'm going to leave my explanation of internal tweeness at that for the
moment and say that for external tweeness, I'd have to point to Ian and his
notion of all of us talking whimsy about kitty and bunny.  I agree.  People
can be as twee as they like on a philosophical level but when it comes to
getting called twee all you have to do is use frilly language, wear frilly
things, and show a liking for all things cute, furry, shiny, sparkly, or
old-fashioned such as the classic cardigan and slippers combo. I tend to
avoid this not only to prevent getting beaten up but also because in any
more than small doses it annoys the hell out of me.  I think it's true that
most of us are not like this, but it can be fun for a bit.

Yeah, that'd be right:  If twee means being dreamsome and poetic in a
harmless and whimsical sense, talking daftly but not necessarily wearing a
cardi and slippers, then I like the fact that I'm twee.

I think.

Thinking can be bad for you, so I'm going to quit.

Hooray for tweeness.
Hooray for summer holidays.
Hooray for everything.

Byebye