Sinister: dance dance dance to (the Belle & Sebastian song on) the radio

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Mon May 8 06:29:38 BST 2000

Just in regard to Youn's post (and I know he did kinda clarify his point
soon afterwards) I'd just like to share a transcendant moment. My girlfriend
and I travelled from Auckland, New Zealand, to Melbourne, Australia, last
year from New Year, mainly just because we wanted to avoid the "New Zealand
is the first country to see in the millenium" malarky. Anyway, there wasn't
all that much to do on New year's eve itself, aside from your usual swag of
E-fueled dance parties and a fireworks display. In the end we begrudgingly
decided to go to a "indie" night, out of sheer desperation and a desire not
to spend the night in our hit stuffy little room. Anyway, the usual Britpop
circa 95-96 was being played ... and me, being a miserable git, was sitting
in the corner, my NHS spectacles steamed up and my feet very sore from so
much walking all day. Anyway ... amongst the dull indie pop came "She's
Losing It", and I got up and danced and danced and danced and, for two
minutes, I have never felt so happy. I'm sure it depends on the context ....
but right then I have never felt so amazing, and Belle & Sebastian have
never sounded so good.

Quoth Morrissey " and when you're dancing and laughing and finally loving
.." I don't think I ever knew what he meant up until that point. A beautiful
moment.

Secondly, Youn implied (I think) that Belle & Sebastian (and Stuart M) seem
to have, in some way, renounced their principles. I'd just like to say that
I don't think that artist development,or progression, is a bad thing. I love
the first two Belle & Sebastain albums more than virtually any otgher albums
in the world, but i don't know if I'd love another hald dozen albums in the
exact same style. not that I'm suggesting that I'd like B&S to go nosebleed
techo, drum and bass or anything. I just think it's important from the to
follow their creative urges.

On a more selfish and self serving note. I have never seen a Belle &
Sebastian video clip, nor any moving images of my favourite band. Should
anyone who has all the promo videos on tape (from a PAL SECAM country, and
not an NTSC country) be willing to make me copies of videos, live
performances etc., I will love them forever, and might be able to trade them
for some good, but not B&S stuff. I think there was a documentary or
something last year too?? I'd REALLY appreciate hearing from someone about
these things. I remember that Jeepster said they'd put out a video more than
a year ago, and thus far .... nothing. I'm desperate kids, desperate!

Take care (all twelve hundred of you)

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme