Sinister: sell-out!

Ian Connelly ian at xxx.com
Mon May 8 22:14:21 BST 2000

it's funny that all this talk about 'selling out,'
(which strikes me as sooo 1992) is occuring on
so many lists i'm on, all in the same month.
is it something about springtime? has the spirit
of maximumrocknroll magazine invaded all of our
little minds all at once? is it the rain?

http://www.divinia.com/people/ian/sinister_eggers.htm

do any of you read mcsweeneys.net? or that hyperbolically
named book 'a heartbreaking work of staggering genius'?
they're both sort of the work of mr. dave eggers, who
used to make a really funny ironic-as-1990s-california
zine here in the us; anyway, getting to the point:
he recently wrote a really amazing thing about
'selling out' that was reposted to the Pavement mailing
list, and i've web-posted it in tidy text form for any
and all of you to read, if you care (url above).

the basic point he makes is this:

>What matters is that you do good work. What matters
>is that you produce things that are true and will stand.

i can't wait for the new b&s singles to come out, and
will definitely be in line on the first day to
buy both formats. and the album, too, a few weeks later.
i don't know if this means i'm a sad, fawning fanboy
with a pathological need for completist collectorism,
but i DO know that b&s still make me ridiculously
dance-alone-in-my-room happy to the core of my
mopheaded little self - that's the important thing, i think.

oh, and mr. PF's post was wonderful! more!

ian c