Sinister: "Half hours on earth - what are they worth? I don't know"

kaytee MBP99KLC at xxx.uk
Tue May 9 00:48:15 BST 2000

hello sinister,

I was happy to read of ian:

> i'll listen with joy, as i always do, to the opening bars of "sleep the
clock around" with the whirly swirly music that makes my insides smile

which i couldn't have put any better. though not an obvious star of a song,
it has snuck into the favourites list in my mind. the fact that someone came
up with the beauty of those little 'whoo' sounds gives me some kind of faith
in... something.

i went to the library today, which was an achievement as i've been on the
last third of the book i'm reading since, erm, january. i got out 'the
screwtape letters' by c.s lewis (who wrote the narnia books in case there's
anyone that didn't read them) and, for some reason, a book about buddhism.
it's not something i know anything about, i just got it out of interest, but
i mention it because of a couple of things i rather liked - nothing we
didn't know already, but it's nice to have it confirmed by an expert. it's
talking about how you can get to some kind of higher state (you have to try
and forget that terms like this have become comical!) basically on purpose
through meditation, but also in more indirect ways...

"the enjoyment of great works of art - of great poetry, music and painting -
often helps to raise the level of consciousness. such enjoyment raises it if
the works in question are truly great - if they really do issue from a
higher state of consciousness in the artist himself - if they actually are
an expression of a higher state of consciousness than we usually
experience...

"then there is association with spiritually minded people, especially those
who are more spiritually advanced than ourselves... it is what is referred
to again and again in Indian religious and spiritual literature as
'satsangh'. 'sat' means true, real, authentic, geniune, spiritual... while
'sangh' means association, or communion, or fellowship."

so if you don't like twee you can say that belle and sebastian are sat. i am
trying desperately not to recommend the silver jews again... damn, i
couldn't help it. i'm pretty sure they are sat at times as well (and now
i've gone and mentioned them i'd be happy to make a tape for anyone).

oh, and as we now have a katy c and a katy d on the list, i have decided to
change my name to a silly spelling.

kaytee c.