Sinister: we're stupid, we

Michael Cronshaw michael at xxx.net
Tue May 9 18:23:43 BST 2000

Hello everybody peeps,

Cor blimey, you leave your puta alone for a few days and whatta lotta mail
builds up. I was chuffed to see that there have been some good posts
recently, even some with B&S content!

Twas good to hear that B&S may be being used for footie music on the radio.
Twould be grate if legal man was used on match of the day for euro 2000!
(sorry non-britsh residents, this won't mean anything tyu)

B&S selling out? Who cares?! They've been selling out since they were born,
they've always been trying, waiting for the 'right time' (e.g. the limited
release of Tigermilk and the deliberately delayed re-release), building up a
cult fan base, getting credible publicity/anti-publicity. It's what they
studied at school. They have a masterplan. Good luck twum. Opened my window
to the sun at the weekend to hear someone playing Sinister and it was good
to hear other people appreciating what I appreciate - I felt a sense of
community, like sinister, but wider and greater. I hope they make it big,
it's what they want. And I'd like a revival of the late eighties/early
nineties, when indie was popular and you could hear the music you like
without going out of your way. B&S have always been on the cusp of breaking
into the big time, and one day one of their publicity-with-credibility plans
might work. The dancy & familiar Legal Man might be the one, with it getting
airplay, being eligible for the singles chart, and with cult followers like
us buying two copies. Could it make no.1 in its first week in the UK? Maybe,
but it will probably drop to no.36 in its second week. Let's just hope that
when it happens, fame and achievement doesn't break B&S up any further.

Steps - grate. In two senses of the word. They may be freaks but that's just
marketing. Whoever writes their songs comes up with choons, even if they are
over-played. And that's just fine. I think B&S & Steps should release a
single in the same week, there could be another Blur/Oasis-type battle!

Just want to point out that Marx was not responsible for Ceaucescu. Or
Stalin for that matter. Doesn't matter what the system is, these are just
examples of power abuse - could have happend in any system, Marxist or not.
It's just western propaganda that links the names without explaining the
differences.

And the 'real world' is not all about people getting burnt alive. It's not
all about pain and misery. This is *part* of the real world, but the real
world also contains good fings. The real world, objectively speaking, is as
much about getting mugged as watching a beautiful sunset. Spending part or
all of your time looking on the bright side is a good thing. Vive la
sinister list and its twee subscribers! (at this point I wrote reams
philosophising and justifying this view in terms of sociology, anthropology,
morals and government, but deleted it as it was boring! If anyone wants to
debate this point, I'll let loose)

Twee - 'excessively sentimental' - isn't this a definition of romantic? I
see twee as a compliment. I can tolerate the bunny-lovin faction of the twee
movement, but I think it's a misconception that all twees are like that.

Good to hear that Billy Bragg & Wilco have reconciled for another album of
Guthrie. Billy can be excellent live, except at Glasto last year, when he
played lots of Guthrie stuff and nobody seemed to know or care about it. But
when everyone sings along to his songs and laughs at his between-song quips,
it's a magical experience.

Girls & boys - some girls are from venus, some from mars, some boys are from
venus, and some from mars. We've all heard the 'I don't understand
men/women' thang, and no matter what the gender, the arguments against the
offending party are always the same. It's always a case of individuals
having different beliefs and attitudes. I think bad experiences can lead us
to generalise. But there are lots of well-matched people out there for
everyone (said the single person!)

With all this talk of Sebastian Bach, let's not forget Johann Sebastian
Bach - if he hadn't well-tempered his clavier, there would be no B&S
melodies. I hated those pieces of his before I found out that he was the
first keyboard tuna. Now I think they're beautiful.

And nuff Isobel jealousy already.

Anyway, that's my opinions. Laters innit.

Mikey.x