Sinister: please read

marc_bloomfield at xxx.org marc_bloomfield at xxx.org
Thu May 11 09:34:34 BST 2000

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back. I'm glad you did, rather than just dismissing
it all as piffle. Here are the bits I really didn't like:

>Some of the mails as always were delicious.

Maybe it was just a bad choice of words, but the way it came across to
me was that the same old people who always post are the only ones worth
reading.

>If you're on this list just to get an audience for your own thoughts on
>life, or breakfast, I'm afraid you don't belong.  If a mail took you
>less than 15 minutes to write, then maybe you should think before
>sending it: it probably means you just want something, and to get
>something, you usually have to give something too.

Well, my mail obviously took less than 15 minutes to write. And I did
want something - this was obvious in my requests. I just didn't really
think it was much.

Anyway, I don't think you're 'some sort of fascist who only wants novel
writers to post', but it seemed to me that you were having a bit of a
go to us who can't think of much to write at a time - I can understand
being a bit annoyed when people post about 5 things which are all a
couple of lines long, or when there are several posts which say exactly
the same thing. there've been lots of times when I've been infuriated
as hell by what I've read on the list, but I don't want to get into
silly nasty arguments about stuff, so I've just kept quiet. Some things
even make me angry. But I prefer that to nothing.

Ho hum. Anyway, it's probably just me being unduly sensitive. I think
it's more that, if you put your first post on and then something like
this appears, you do feel a bit put off. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause
any offence. It's just the list is pretty daunting. Well, who knows. I
probably won't post again, at least not for a while, mainly because I
can't think of anything to put on there.

I know you love the list, and I'm not disputing that at all. I, as much
as anyone, would hate for it to drop into complete rubbishness and die.
I just don't think things were as bad as you said (although I
appreciate that it's better to do something about it before things go
all crappy).

Well, this is probably mostly incoherent (I've just got to work, so I'm
still waking up), but I hope you're not upset by what I wrote. that
wasn't my intention at all. And I s'pose I'm probably the only person
who took it all personally anyway.

Sorry.

Marc.