Sinister: Roscoe! You got splinters in the windmills of your mind?

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Thu May 11 18:35:42 BST 2000

All a bit quiet round here - has someone parped?

It is a testament to my old man radio listening ways that I still haven't heard
'Legal Man' properly.  I turned on London Live and heard the last ten seconds.
I thought "What's this indie-boy attempt at a summer sound?  Is it Dinosaur Jr's
'Take a run at the sun'?  No.  Is it 'Wake Up Boo!'?  No." and then Robert Elms
said "That's Belle & Sebastian - Legal Man.  Hardly!"  Still not sure what he
meant.

Anyway I'm sure it's very good and everything.  I'm looking forward to buying it
twice.

I'm actually starting to get a bit cross that there's this mythology of
'Internet B&S obsessives are worrying that the band are selling out' spreading
like wildfire.   That debate-that-never-really-was inevitably gets represented
as 'elitist-bedwetters worry that the band are getting too popular' and
obviously we don't want any of that nonsense.  People believe what they like to
believe; even the band it seems.  I do like the idea of a bedwetting elite
though.  Endless debates about whether the doubly-incontinent should be allowed
in.

As for TOTP, if anyone needs persuading that the band have always wanted to
appear on the show, here's a reminder:

From: Daily Record 07/05/98

The Stow-aways.

Students chart a popular business

Stow College is a world of new and exciting opportunities!
We want to give you a glimpse of just some of the options that are
available for adults and school-leavers here.
[...]
And at Stow College, music-mae course is a man who knows all about the
business - Alan Rankine, who formed part of the great eighties pop
band The Associates.
[...]
Bands discovered after the College quest include current critics'
favourites, Belle and Sebastian.
They have made Alan a firm promise that they will wear college
T-shirts when they debut on telly's Top of the Pops.

So there.  Alan Rankine can justifiably accuse them of selling out if any of
them break this promise and appear in some kind of designer fox-skin number.

Harry Hunt, who has a *good* name said:

>How come NO-ONE when questioned lists You're just a
>baby, as their favourite B&S track?  It's a delight.

Hmm.. well I've always thought it's a pain in the arse.  I like it when it gets
to the 'there must be a reason for all the looks we gave' chorus (although the
words make little sense to me), but the shuffling boom-ba boom-ba of the verse
is a huge clunking comedown after the biff-pang-pow of the first three
wondertrax.  And the lyrics are annoying.  Everything that follows the line
'You're just a baby, baby girl / so..' seems a non-sequitur.  'You're just a
baby, baby girl so kiss me on the cheek before you know what's sweet'  Eh?  It's
one of the few Belle & Sebastian songs that I often skip.

So BabyChris has hung up his crystal balls and gone wee-wee-wee all the way
home?  It's a shame he got in such a lather over the Toby Titwank London set.  I
blame Alasdair's malicious gossip.  The 'sequin studded' bit makes me think he
might have got the B&S London Sinister Scene mixed up with the Gay Scene.  I can
understand the confusion, what with both being well known for wearing nappies.
I'm strictly non-scene myself, but sometimes wear ultra-thin Pampers under my
trousers for a forbidden thrill.

The Angel Blackwell fessed up:

>i have fell in love with lil' mr drake...then i fell
>in love with a certain listee who burnt all his cd's
>and sent them to me just because i was a fan...

Good heavens, the things boys do to impress!   Don't quite understand it though
- was it some kind of iconoclastic statement or just a terrible accident?

   Nick x