Sinister: Let me be your little dog till your big dog comes...

Melissa Williams feathermeat at xxx.com
Fri May 12 22:54:34 BST 2000

I am fairly wallowing in trepidation.  I'll bet I'm not the only one,
either...there's got to be SOME good reason why no one's writing anything.
Well, I'll take my chances that this is a stupid post, as it's for the good
of the list!  Yes!  I will go down in a blaze of glory, singing "Ode to
Joy," or else "We Are the Champions..."  I'm feeling a little revolutionary
and wild-eyed today, yes indeed.  Okay, enough of that.  I just wanted to
say that, although it's true that this list is not a forum for people to
delineate their personal philosophies, I for one joined the list in order to
meet some like-minded people, and read about what they were interested in
writing about.  I imagine a lot of people signed on for the same reason.  I
mean, I think that the list probably really would die if all that people
wrote were astute and well-reasoned essays on Belle and Sebastian.  Don't
get me wrong--I _want_ people to talk about the band, and I most
emphatically _don't_ want people to post without thinking about it.  But
there's no use in making people afraid to write anything, for fear of
unpleasant consequences.  Plus, my favorite posts so far (I'm new,
admittedly) have been the ones where people write about their lives, or what
they like besides Belle and Sebastian, or stories that they've dreamed up.
Am I alone in this?  I don't mean to sound like a vitriolic axe-grinder, but
I feel pretty strongly about this.  Better a lot of posts with a certain
percentage of irrational crap than only a few posts with a certain
percentage of irrational crap.  Okay, I'm pushing "Send" before I revert to
my usual demure state.
All of you write!  Come on!
Melissa

'There was something they meant to say, but didn't:
"And if we put the statue of the rhinocerous
next to the tweezers, and walk around the room three times,
learn to yodel, shave our heads, call
our ancestors back from the dead--"
poetrywise it's still a bust, bankrupt.
You haven't scribbled a syllable of it.'
      --James Tate, 'Dream On'