Sinister: If you're feeling sinister and strange, why not post?

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Sun May 14 05:21:38 BST 2000

Hullo Sinister Siblings! I trust we are all well, yes? I was told I was
"very european" today when I ordered a Pepsi without ice. I'm afraid I must
say I wasn't trying to be classy, I simply dislike ice.
    I was also called a "nice young man" three times today, I suppose I must
go do something nasty such as beat up an old lady before I'm in danger of
becoming twee (which would mean I'd have to give up my current heathen boy
status, wouldn't it?).

Robin said:
" If you want to be known by a label, you may as well be a tin of beans."

Which is a very true and smart thing and is why all this talk of what twee
is is a bit silly. Though I must give props to Jen for saying:

"I think twee is just being kind and nice, and not always hitting back, and
trying to help people even if they're bad to you, and being quite sensitive,
and being gentle and a bit of a wuss, but knowing when to stand up and fight
at the right times."

    Which I thought that was just being mature, but if that's twee then it
is indeed a Good Thing to be twee.

Someone else said:

    "Fuck this twee shit"

Hmmm, what to go on about now? Well, I think some B&S material would be best
wouldn't it?

"Legal Man"

    I've finally heard it thanks to a most kind listee, and I must say I
like it. It's really rather good. I suppose I really don't have much to say
about it other than I enjoyed it.  It has a way of growing on you, it has a
nice feel to it and it made me smile so that should be enough for anyone,
right?

"Uniforms"

    I had a B&S dream last night. Twee freedom fighters in black uniforms
with gold buttons and lapels storming the city and stringing up townies and
freeing animals to run amok in the streets whilst bright eyed children look
on at the brave new world where rainbows shine forever over cities of silver
and jade....
    Where might I sign up?

    I also have this dream of Sinister boys and girls gathering around
Stuart and the rest of the band on their obsidian throne and the Sinisters
are clutching the bleached bones of townies and P!O!P stars and howling at
the moon and then I realize I've left 2001 playing while I napped. Speaking
of Kubrick, "Eyes Wide Shut" is the only way to watch that film, poor
Stanley, to have left such a poor farewell.

Other Music:

    I've heard the new delgados album. Let me say that Peloton, their other
album, is a work of brilliance. You should all run out and buy Peloton this
minute. It catches you unaware, it whispers into your ear and then boxes you
upside the head with soulful lyrics and lush sounds that turn harsh and
cruel in a heartbeat. "Pull the Wires from the Wall" is a masterpiece,
simply an amazing song. "The Great Eastern" is a simpler album, and it
lacks...something.
    It's not bad mind you, but when compared with Peloton....ah, well. It's
an enjoyable listen but nothing earthshaking.

    Erica mentioned Black Box Recorder, who you should all be listening to.
I can't speak for the new album (Erica says it's brilliant, do you really
need my recommendation?) but "England Made Me" is a piece of brilliance,
which is what we should expect from Luke Haines.
    The same fellow who introduced me to B&S and the delgados said, "Luke
Haines is a genius and you will buy his records if it kills me". So don't
take my word for it my Sinister brothers and sisters, rush out and get a
copy of anything by Black Box Recorder, they made "Seasons in the Sun" sound
like a work of art, what more do you want?

    I missed Apples in Stereo playing in Michigan because our indie clubs
have crap for promotion outside Ann Arbor.

    Ann Arbor. What a town. I grew up in a rather smallish, conservative
town here in Michigan where Ann Arbor was considered the place where the
freaky people lived. You know the type, the ones who dyed their hair all the
wrong colors and put metal bits in their flesh and had nasty designs put on
them with an ink stained needle and yes children, where sometimes boys go
with boys and girls with girls.

    I love going into Ann Arbor and walking the streets and seeing all the
wonderful people there. You can fall in love a thouand times in a city like
that. That weird beauty that hits you everytime you focus in for a second
and glances of brilliance you catch out of the corner of your eye.
    It's not that it is any better than any other place, but perhaps it is a
bit more colorful and less boring, though it of course has its fair share of
fools and mean people. But it's a fun place to visit and it moves fast and
its not as boring as other places.
   It's rather like that feeling you get when you spin round and round and
fall down and the world keeps on spinning around you. And yes, that's an
overly romantic view and I'm sure someone would say I'm being twee but
bugger it. It's the same feeling I get when I come home after a hard day and
things seem like crap and I settle in and flick on a bit of B&S (see, there
was a point to my mad rambling, we've hit upon B&S at last) and the world
seems a bit brighter.

    Because forget about whether they are twee or selling out or any of that
rubbish. They make good music. I enjoy their music. Good music makes me feel
good. Thus, their music makes me feel good. That, my dear Sinister Siblings
is the only thing that matters to me.

    That's it for now, take care all!

"Goodbye Rag! Goodbye Tag! Goodbye Bobtail!"

Be Sinister Children.....

Jim ( grey7 on #sinister for those keeping score)

"You must not mind me, madam: I say strange things, but I mean no
harm"-Samuel Johnson