Sinister: Bi-labial fricatives

Alder, Lucy lucy.alder at xxx.uk
Wed May 17 10:55:34 BST 2000

This morning I heard Sir Bob Geldof launching a survey to find the nation's
favourite word.  The presenters on the Today Programme (dammit, just
revealed myself as a Radio 4 listener) did their best to crack jokes about
the likelihood of the Favourite Word being 'fuck' or 'shit' or 'cunting'
without actually saying those words, because it's Radio 4 and they can't and
it's ho-ho-hilarious, isn't it?  I mean, it's not even as if they can say
F___ or S___ or C___ing like the NME used to.  Still, it got me thinking,
which is quite an achievement at that time in the morning.  I even got my
dictionary down from the shelf to find out how to spell 'mimsy' but it
wasn't there.  Isn't 'mimsy' a word?  I thought it was.  The closest I could
get was 'mimosacious', which means 'like mimosa' but it's not really a
contender.

My favourite word of all time... ever! comes from my least favourite of
languages.  The gutteral utterances of the Germanic tongue give me the
willies, but its one redeeming feature is 'meerschweinchen'.  The fact that
it means 'guinea pig' is definitely in its favour, but just try saying it.
Go on...  Isn't it great?

LONDON BIT
I could dance all night like I'm a soul girl but I'm going to restrain
myself until Friday when my favourite groovin' go-go Da Doo Ron Ron is
happening.  If all you spinners, shufflers and headnodders aren't too worn
out by the goings on at the pocaff that evening, I'd love for you to follow
me there.  It's at the Highbury Garage, finishes at 3 and I'll be dancing
fairly restrainedly because I fell over in a puddle of beer last time.

Juicy Lucy

ps.  there's a 5-day forecast for London here:
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/sec3/sec3.html
Looks like we might see the sun on Saturday, but the grass will be damp.

--
This communication contains information which is confidential and
may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the