Sinister: L O V E love is coming back it's coming back

stephen hewitt hewits at xxx.uk
Wed May 17 12:21:37 BST 2000

It suddenly struck me about 8 o'clock last night that if Legal Man was due
to be "exclusively" on Jo Whiley on Wednesday, there'd be a fair old chance
that it would be on Alternative Nation on MTV on Tuesday, as with all of
Jo's previous "exclusives" and indeed it was, and it was the full video,
whereas, unless they're discussing it, you'll only get a verses worth with
the titles going over it on Whiley.

Those of you who don't want to know about the video before you see it look
away now, "review" coming up.

Fortunately it was the first one on the show otherwise i may have fallen
asleep and missed it, it starts with a big fat "Legal Man" on the front of a
newspaper, then fades to him in "gentleman's club".  The band are on stage,
Stevie and Struan, both looking rather self conscious, are singing into the
same microphone and wearing mod type black suits with thin ties.  Richard is
clearly visible doing his funky drummer thang, Isobel and <insert name of
other maisonette here> are on each side of the stage (in spot lights)
strutting away (although bel looks quite bored in most of the shots, except
the very last one when she smiles and looks much nicer, i think she should
smile more) as a sixties gurl group should.  Sarah is almost completely
obscured behind bel, sat on the floor stage left playing the sitar.  Chris G
is also almost completely in darkness (Is it in fact him, we wonder???
conspiracy theories start here) as is mystery bass player lurking in the
shadows.

I know i'll probably get slaughtered for this but the main influence that
sprung into my mind for the video was "Wannabe" by the spice girls, except
with the band looking demure and all the punters doing mad things rather
than the other way round.

Oh yes, the other punters in this "club" include rather old and wrinkly
transvestites, camp men in smoking jackets and a snake charmer (who i
thought was a hairy, pierced mick cooke for about a tenth of a second) with
snake.  There's also something going on with a ring with a big ruby in it
("help" reference perhaps?), but mainly it's just people having a laugh, the
fat legal man ends up on the dance floor grooving away to our heroes, and
the gents in the smoking jackets raising a camp eyebrow.

Anyway it's two and a half mins of high sheen, non-super 8 fun and
silliness, much like the song itself.

Surely you can make a letter "e" by bending to the right, putting your left
arm over your head, so it touches your right ear, and sticking your right
arm out from the elbow and curling your hand up a bit or vice versa,
depending on which way you are looking at it.  Go on, give it a go now,
nobody's looking.

Unless there are any ex-cheerleaders out there who know a better way to do
it...

Nice to see International Sinister Picnic Day spreading to Finland, now come
on New York and Toronto, you're letting the side down ;)

And Mr Dastoor, as it appears that there are no lyrics on the sleeve of the
single, can we have them by monday morning please...

xoxo

CarsmileSteve