Sinister: Swells

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Wed May 17 15:17:13 BST 2000

Hello.

I saw the 'Legal Man' video on MTV last night too.  This was the first time I'd
heard the song properly so I was concentrating on that more than the visuals.

Steve's description is far better than I could manage.  I never understand
what's going on in videos and  adverts until I've seen them a dozen times or
someone else spells it out to me.  So, the straight-laced suit is persuaded to
let his hair down and shake his booty? Isn't that the hoariest pop promo trick
in the book?  Either that or ladies in bikinis.

To me, the whole thing seemed a bit of a mess.  Lots of things thrown in, lots
of people in a room but no real directorial vision.  Still, it was better than
that godawful one for 'This Is Just A Modern Rock Song.' And Isobel does look a
picture, despite the scowls.  So does Stuart, in a funny kind of way.  Up on the
stage in his suit, guitar and winning smile, he reminded me of nothing so much
as Michael J. Fox at the school dance in 'Back To The Future'.  I'd love to see
him do Teen Wolf.

Sorry for being a pompous old grump in my last two posts, by the way.  It won't
happen again.  And sorry for sending the second one three times.  I didn't mean
to.  It was an Act of God.

>His main thesis here is that the kids are finding "new and radical ways" to
>fight against the "McFuture"

Phew, that Steven Wells!  So the future's Scottish?  I wish someone had told me.

Trying to argue with Steven Wells is like pissing in the wind all over Julie
Burchill. Or something.  I mean you could say to him "Hang on a minute - you
recently stood up for the bloody BLUETONES in an interview, and B&S's songs are
a damn sight more political than theirs."  But what's the point?  He *knows* his
role is just to wind people up, and in the midst of the banalities that surround
him in the NME, at least he's distinctive, if a bit repetitive after however
many years.  He's pretty weedy outside of the written word though.  I heard him
on a radio discussion show once and his combative style just sounded tired.  He
had that 'oh you're probably right but it's not part of my act to be
even-handed' edge to his voice.

I spoke to Joe Egg on the phone last night and tried to make him tell me who
would be on stage at 2000 Tubby Teenagers.  But he would only say that it 'would
be quite special' and maybe 'even more special'.  Bah.

Nick

"Peddling inarticulate self-satisfaction since 1973"

xxx